kyliiie

Best colours for 1930s cottage with terracotta roof

Kylie
January 27, 2019

Looking to do a low budget makeover of our 1930s brown brick cottage with a paint job. Would love your advice on what colours would bring a bit more life to the house and work with the terracotta roof. Front facade has some nice feature brickwork that I intend to accent. After painting I will also put in a garden bed to soften the front. Was considering a greige colour with white accents or white with grey accents. But also open to some pops of colour. We have a side entrance so can't make a feature of the door unfortunately.

• dreamer
    Hi Kylie, would it be possible to visit your local council, and locate the original plans submitted for the build of your home? These plans will show the original design of your front windows. It would be wonderful if that look could be reinstated. The white trim, I agree, is the correct way to go. And a pop of colour in garden, as you have mentioned.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls

Yes, your front winodw is really letting your house down. It looks like a cheap. aluminium window that was added inthe 1970's to enclose a front verandah to make it a sunroom. If you need the sunroom then I would replace it with a white painted timber window to match the original style of the architecture, then finish off with the landscaping. Or you could reinstate the verandah. Your two-tone brickwork and terracotta tiles roof already has quite a bit of colour, so I wouldn't be introducing a contemporary greige into such a classic elevation. Celebrate what you have and work with the existing style.

Best of luck

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• legendaryflame
    My thoughts were much the same as Dreamer's and Dr Retro's. Would love to see some pics if you do change the window.
  • KK1000
    All of the above except I would tone down white a bit , just a touch of colour so it’s a bit softer. Touch of sage or a bit beige. Anyway the lightest shade of each, if that makes any sense to you. Definitely change the windows.
  • Kylie
    Thanks everyone! The window is awful I know. Unfortunately we're not in a position to change it at the moment. This is just a quick fix makeover before proper renovations/restoration in a few years time. Might see if I can at least change the colour of the aluminum frame from brown to white with a special paint treatment.