lockmac

Floor plan layout advice to make this house feel more open

lockmac
5 years ago

We have just purchased a new house!

It is a fairly large house with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a study, living area, dining room + main lounge and a pool!

We are planning on doing a fairly sizable renovation to modernise the place but also adjust the floor plan if suitable. At this stage, we don't quite know what our budget is- we've never renovated so we don't really know what renovations cost (I've heard alot!). Our budget could potentially be up to $150k.

Our current floor plan is below.

The things I want to change/add:

• The hallway has access to the ensuite bathroom- we want to close off this door so that it is a private bathroom
  • The study is right at the front of the house - I like my study being close to the main living room so that I am close to my loved ones
  • There is no storage apart from the laundry! I want to add a walk in storage room with shelving.
  • Would love to have a walk-in or butlers pantry.

My floor plan is below:

Ideas currently running through my head for main bedroom/bathroom

• Change the walk in robe so that it is a his/hers walk through on the left/right into the bathroom. This ultimately would reduce the size of the master ensuite, but we want to remove the bath tab and potentially put the shower in its place. It would also require the windows in this corner to be bricked out as it is all window starting from the top of the bath.
  • Close up the hallway opening to the ensuite toilet making it only accessible from the main bedroom.

Potential way to add a butlers/walk-in pantry could be below.

The problem with this is that I believe it would be quite costly as it is an extension to the existing building:

Now my idea about making the study closer to the main living area and adding more storage was as follows:

• Bedroom 2 is split into half- the right hand side is the study and the left hand side is a walk in storage room
  • The robe and pantry on this wall would be removed to make the wall in line with the guest toilet
  • The dining area would become the second bathroom, with its built in robe built into the current study. The current study would then become a powder room.
  • Does anyone personally have issues that the second bedroom is much closer to the main bedroom with this design?
  • This would result in a big powder room, so the remainder of this current study could be used for more storage or the garage slightly extended.
  • Problem with these changes are that external windows would need to be changed. Is this costly?!

Outdoor area:

• There is currently a pool in the top right that you can't see. We would like to put bifold doors or similar on the top of the family area that would open out to the outdoor area.

ANY advice would be appreciated.

Comments (33)