princessfiona7

Need help with my French-style bedroom

Ash
10 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have just got my new French style bed set up, but need help with finishing touches.

Comments (526)

• Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    yeap, that's exactly what i need it for, to dress up the bed, give that finished & cozy touch.. or soften an ugly biege sofa within bedroom (DH's) when needed. Though it's a secondary use only, but i just wanted to be on the safe side with sizes, so they are not too small for sofa. not at all complicated, eh? ;)
    I was thinking squares only, so your suggestion of 50 x 50 cm (20" x 20") would be perfect, compared to 40 x 60 cm (16" x 24"). Thank you again Carolins! :) 20" x 20" is done!! :)
    Sorry Ash for the encroachment.... :$ I still get to enjoy your cakes, right? ;)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    16" square (40x40 cm) is also a good size and you could do different sizes and throw them together. Will create nice layers.
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    hmmm.. A mix of 20" (50 cm) sq and 16" sq should work then and create a safe balance in sizes & give me the nice layered effect too that you mentioned. :) For colours am thinking 2 plum (20"), 2 burgundy (16") for a burgundy quilt cover with peach sheet, both in satin..
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Sounds chic :-)
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh mforr i truly felt your sadness at shutting down your beach house, i think i could even smell the salt air for a bit then! .....mmmm i have an idea, what about i take over an keep an 'eye' on the place for you and send you regular pics an updates, so you dont feel so homesick for the place? And i can leave your freezer stocked with loads of goodies and fresh baked cakes on the counter for when you come back again? ;) Yes? Good idea?...... ok i'll go pack! ;)
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    aimran met me at Mforr's beach shack for cake! ;) .... you know we gotta make sure its ok before we serve it right? ;)
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh Carolins i totally agree that mirror was never meant to be anywhere else! I love the antiqueness (is that a word? lol) in the little side mirrors. Makes me smile a lot :) I also noticed the other day that it really reflects the trees from outside into my room, an even better is that they are all Jacaranda trees, which have the most beautiful purple blossoms at Christmas time. So thank you to the man who planted them 20 odd years ago, you knew my accent colour before i did! haha
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and mforr i completely forgot to comment on your cake before, because i totally distracted at the gorgeousness of it! I think i may have even drooled into my keyboard a little! haha
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    What a good idea, you stay here and you can work on opening New York patisserie, mmmmm. That cake was from a lovely place in manhattan, Lafayette. You should look it up on google, great model for your place in Australia.
    I love the mirror there and how wonderful that the flowers will be reflected in it come Christmas time. Truly was meant to be :)
    Found a new treat for you to think about, it's called a "cronut" cross between a donut and croissant. Fits right in with your new place. ;)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Saliva overload!!!!!
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    coverlet at the end of the bed in a quilted satin...
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    I swear I gain weight just reading Jan and Ash's threads. Must. Not. Look.

Ash, did you ever decide what to put on the dresser? Where do you stash your jewelry? Would a piece to hang necklaces be needed, practically speaking? Or a pretty box for earrings and bracelets?
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    @mforr: you do pretty, I do concrete? (Sorry all,referring to another thread.) Get busy finding that jewelry box.
  • radhaovalles
    10 years ago
    Beautiful bed!!!!.... Some ideas: change de wall color, try with fuchsia or tourquese
  • frchgrl
    10 years ago
    Don't forget adding some items from antique stores. Will give he look you want for sure as original vintage items automatically give that look. Maybe some pink depression glass . Ornate mirror tray. God foil sconces , etc.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I love your aggregate, nwduck!! :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I know it's chinoiserie, but it's very, very pretty :)
    Is this what you had in mind, nwduck ?
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    You and carolins always find the coolest things. I knew if I just said "jewelry box" last night, one would appear this morning. It's like magic.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Anything for you, my dear. :)
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    lol yeahhh, we did, Ash! ;) And don't worry mforr, we didn't leave any crumbs in your beach shack.. ;p we were very thorough ;D
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ash... if you do want a jewelry box, check out Westelm. They have a couple of nice ones for your dressing table. A mirrored one and a silver lacquered one. Different sizes too.
    http://www.westelm.com.au/mirrored-jewelry-box-c466.html?sc=80&category=178459
    http://www.westelm.com.au/lacquer-jewelry-box-c455.html?sc=80&category=178459
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh shoot, small pics. Sorry :-)
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    I think you need something with height on your dresser, and i came across this, I admit not at all pretty, but it definitely has more storage than the usual stuff:
    Mahogany 32 Branch Display Organizer Holder Jewelry Tree, 19" H, Vintage Jewelry · More Info
    how about something like those miniature body forms for the necklaces.. all depends what kind of jewelry Ash has most..
    like the ring partitions here (though this item is of plastic...):
    "Diamond" Accessory Case for Jewelry, Comes in White or Black, Modern Jewelry Or · More Info
    Glass Shadow Boxes · More Info
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    On sale at myhabit.com
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hope you're all well :)
    Can't believe it's September already, kids started school this week.
    Any progress, Ash?
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone!
    Hi ash, saw these pics at pottery barn fb page
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    Forgot one
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    have you thought about painting the ceiling a pale blue? I'm having a hard time reading through the whole feed. I have been following it for months! ;-) Any new photos? I saw a linen full French coverlet on Ebay today and fell in love - if you still are looking for pieces. Antique Coverlet - French, should find it. Looks like it would make the bed the focal point and it's authentic French... Then, maybe look for something similar. French use a lot of lace for curtains. Books on French Art in the room... sitting under something like a lamp or vase. Just interested in how your room has turned out.
  • PRO
    Art Geo
    10 years ago
  • PRO
    IG Fine Art
    10 years ago
    As an art dealer I get very frustrated with people making recommendations to buy CHEAP art. If you are willing to invest in quality furniture, rugs and accent pieces which will only ever LOOSE value over time you should always be looking to buy QUALITY art as an investment. My children over their life time have acquired pieces and now have an investment portfolio of art on their walls that is worth 100x what they paid for it and even in the worst of economic markets ART has never gone down in value.
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi guys :) ...sorry end of school term fast approaching an it's been mayhem here! Lol ...however my curtains have come! Woo hoo
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Aimran I totally loved those jewellery boxes too! Next on my list! :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Ash, they are gorgeous!!! You must be thrilled :)
    I was just thinking of you and mum this morning and mentioned I hoped all was well with you and family to carolins. I'm glad to see you posting and I'm just in love with the drapes. Glorious color. Well done :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh wow! The are lush! Beautiful.
    Glad to hear from you :-) Hope all is well at your end of the world.
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Mforr & Carolins :) ...yes is all well indeed, just a little busy an things sort of have had to come to a stand still w reno's for a bit, but we should be back at it before ya know it! ;)
  • Ash
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I am totally enamoured with these curtains! They seriously feel like they belong in a palace, not my bedroom! Haha
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Well, oooooh la la! What fabulous drapes! Now, since school is almost over, we all need some more foodie photos. Something in plum? :)
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    oh My God!!! Gorgeousness!!!! such soothing lighting now!! loving everything. bench's new position is perfect, out-of-the-way and makes the room look a normal size. :) so happy for you.
    Hi everyone! :)
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    am thinking those two panelled mirrors that you (& we all) loved on either side of window ;)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hi aimran, how are you? Nice to see you again after such a long time. :)
    Hi nwduck, haven't seen you for ages either, how are you?
    Ash, hope mum is doing well. Say hi :)
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    This calls for dessert!! ;) 'lub-e-shireen' loosely translates to lips of sweetness I guess, lol. Nice hear from you, mforr and the girls too!
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    mforr: Oregon Duck football season started. Games and tailgate/gameday parties takes my full attention. We are hoping to be undefeated and get to the national championship game again. It's exhausting for us fans, what with the eating and drinking and cheering! Glad to see a little mini-reunion this week. :)
  • Jan
    10 years ago
    I like the sound of a mini-reunion. Especially if it involves desert!. Hello everyone : )

nwduck, you are just beginning your season, while here today is the grand final of Aussie Rules Football.
    Though I'm not a fan, it seems the whole country has come to a grinding halt today. haha
    The big excitement of today's game, is that an 'underdog' team is playing. They haven't got into the finals in about eighteen years or something.

:)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Aimran, that looks delicious, and would go straight past lips to hips!!!
    Nwduck, gooooooooooo Ducks!!! And goooooo tailgating!!! That's a great thing to keep you busy and exhausted. More food please!!
    Jan, how are you? Hope you've settled into new rooms, planning sitting room yet? ;)
    Have a great weekend everyone :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hey girls, how is everyone here?
    My brains switches off when I see or hear something about football, whether it's Aussie Rules or American or Dutch (soccer).... no better lullaby for me. I fall asleep when I try to watch it.

Aimran, whet is in the tub-e-shireen? It looks very interesting and I'm sure it is delicious, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing :-D
  • erasistible
    10 years ago
    Your drapes are beautiful! Are they custom?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hi erasistible :)
    Not sure if she's checking in too often, but yes, the drapes were custom :)
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    I loved going through these comments and seeing the room coming to life in the midst! It looks absolutely beautiful!
  • luvbirds
    9 years ago
    Hi Ash, Ive got the same furniture as you! I added gold, pink, creams to mine.
    I have a grey & white doona cover with pink sheets, pink cushions, big gold ornate mirror floor in the corner, gold lamps.
    I added pink for a touch of feminine. :)