gjnelson26

Slats for Underneath Highset house.

Jodie
5 years ago

We are going to enclose portions of underneath our house with slats beginning with this section in front of little shed, another section to the right, and another to the left creating a little room under for shed, mower etc. There will also be a staircase down from the deck, and the slat wall will mean we only have to have balustrading on the outside. We are undecided what size slats would look best to compliment the balustrade already there. Should we go 90 wide ( verticle slats) with a 40ml gap. Or 60 wide with a 40 ml gap. The balustrade is 60 with an 80ml gap, but that is too open for this application.We need a gap for airflow. Should we also leave 100ml top and bottom ?

Comments (5)

• oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

what about horizontal slats to complement the cladding on the house and create the illusion of the walls continued to the ground ..slats slightly narrower than the cladding to allow for the airflow (with gap too small for climbing) and then the balustrade on the deck and down the stairs becomes a feature

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Love this look also, these slats are slightly wider but the narrower ones oklouise suggested would look great also.
  • Jodie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank-you both. I'm not sure we would be able to use horizontal with narrow gaps. We are mainly trying to disguise the ugly steel bracing, and I think we have to leave a certain amount of airflow. Also underneath will be used quite a bit, so we would need more light. Bigger gaps with horizontal may encourage climbers !
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

then consider vertical slats the same as the cladding with suitable gaps or exactly the same as the balustrade

• PRO
    Blackburn Bathrooms and Kitchens
    5 years ago

40x40 spotted gum battens vertically would look nice, leaving a 20mm gap between each batten would allow for more than enough airflow. I would leave them 20mm off the ground as well for any passing water should it come along.