radiyagali

Quality of newly poured concrete.

R A
5 years ago

We have had our driveway, paths and porch concrete poured a I would like to get opinions on quality of this concrete and pour. It's crumbly looking underneath and doesn't seem to be edged (builders specified coved finish)
Whether it is acceptable or not? If the latter then suggestions on how to resolve it.

Comments (8)

• R A
    Original Author
    5 years ago

More pics. The orange in one pic just the safety tape.

• oklouise
    5 years ago

what happened to the coving? ask the builder to explain and rectify if that's what was contracted and hope you haven't paid until you're satisfied with results

• R A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It has been coved well apparently- swirly pattern. I'll try taking better pics of it later today.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago
    Best to get your terminology right before speaking to your builder. A coved concrete finish has nothing to do with the edge treatment, but is the final, swirly, finish made by hand on top of the slab to give it more traction.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro
    of Dr Retro House Calls
  • R A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That is what I understood about the coved finish I.e.it is the swirly pattern.
    Any thoughts on the side sections and edging?
  • PRO
    Andrew Stretton Construction
    5 years ago

Hi R.I

Having concreted for sometime now, there's a couple of things you need to consider and most of it you will find in the BCA (building code of australia) ..firstly measure the depth of the finished concrete ,is it to Standard.. whats the standard in your state ?

if the depth is less... there's just one point to consider and bring up..

but yes you may have some concern as these weak points will eventually crack. the finish is a concern,but if you have a good relationship with your builder or concreter he should rectify this..

Good Luck

• R A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Andrew,
    Thank you for your input.

It is meant to be 100 mm depth concrete- paths and driveway. Does that mean it should be 'nice and solid' 100 mm thick at all visible edges/side on view vs the irregular nature of this?

And how could it be rectified? When I questioned it- the response was 'it'll be covered by landscaping'! The latter bein not true as some areas are raised above future grass or pebbles.