breezew

Floorplan advice needed, where to put laundry

Bree W
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are looking at turning our laundry into an ensuite or second bathroom this year, and would love to get some floorplan advice. Basically our idea is to turn our current laundry into a bathroom. I would love it to be an ensuite to our back bedroom, although I'm not sure how to do this while also retaining enough wall space for a BIR (WIR is probably impossible...). So we are considering opening it up into the hallway as a second bathroom. The current laundry is an addition to the original house, and so we will have to knock through a brick wall - also likely to be asbestos lined, so will be a costly undertaking... Is there any way it could work as an ensuite?
We are also unsure on where to put the laundry. We are considering an extension at our back door, which would square off the house, if that makes sense. I've considered a European laundry, although it's a family neighbourhood, and so when we sell it down the track this could be an issue.
Also, we are planning on renovating the rest of the house in the future, and interested in any other ideas on what people would do with our floorplan. I want to make sure that the changes we make now will align with our longer term renovation plans... We cannot build out any further to the West (front) or North side. It is a 600m2 block.
One thing I don't like about the house is our spare bedroom coming off the kitchen (very noisy and feels less private), also not having direct access to outside from the kitchen to our lovely deck where the kids like to play, also being west facing and in Victoria, it is hot in summer and cold until the afternoon in winter, although I don't think we could do much here without a full re-orientation of the rooms... We are a family of four, with a baby and toddler, and my husband works from home, so retaining 4 bedrooms is a must.
I have attached the floorplan. Missing dimensions are roughly - laundry 180x265; bathroom 210x270, toilet 185x100, hallway width 1m in smaller section, 1.5 in entry area.

Comments (14)