trishok

Help with styling kitchen

trishok
March 15, 2019

This is my two year old kitchen. I kept it neutral, but now when I walk into it I think it looks boring. I have removed the colourful plate and replaced with a plant in a bright red pot (I have red sofas in the adjoining room). Still think it's lacking something. Was thinking a set of red canisters? Any ideas?

• julie herbert
    Hi,
    I would remove everything from your bench top then try creating a tray with some beautiful pieces, add some great cutting boards, you don’t need to do much I love these as they add a real stylish look to the kitchen then add a fabulous red kettle and it could look gorgeous
  • dreamer
    Like the timber shutters, but in my opinion they just don't look right. I don't know why. The shutters make the room look 'heavy'?Maybe bring some wooden elements into the space, as suggested by Julie, to bring the timber shutters into the room.
  • me me
    I was just going to say the same thing about the shutters. Could they be replaced with white ones?
  • trishok

Thanks for the great suggestions. I elected to keep the shutters when we renovated the kitchen as they are western red cedar in excellent condition and match the set on larger windows in the adjoining family room. So I was faced with having to replace both sets or keep what was there. I do like the idea of bringing some timber elements in. There is a built in timber wine rack at the end of the kitchen bench which ties in but perhaps forgetting about the pop of red and going with timber is the go?

• julie herbert
    Hi,
    Have a look at Kmart for some fab timber breadboard ‘s, I put these together for a fraction of the cost of online kitchen suppliers
  • trishok

That looks fab, thank you!

• PRO
    Weaver Interiors

I agree with meme, the place is dark and unwelcoming and adding more timber will make it even more depressing. You will find that making the shutters white will direct your consience to the view and give life to the area. Otherwise you could remove the shutters entirely and have an enspiring blind in a fabulous design:

Do you want to be inspired to cook - or get out of there fast.

• trishok

Thanks for that. I actually love cooking in my kitchen already, even with the shutters. As I explained I don't particularly want to rip out two sets of great quality western red cedar shutters so was looking for other ideas. Love the blinds though, they would be lovely if I was wanting to remove my shutters.

• PRO
    Weaver Interiors

Sorry trishok, it must be the photo. Thank you for the discussion. Please send an image of the completed scheme.

• JE C
    I think the shutters will look fine when they have a little more timber to "tie in" with. Think you are on the right track.
  • littlethommo2 .

They are not for everyone, but what about a red kitchen runner? It would bring a big hit of colour and interest to the room without taking up precious benchspace, as the kitchen is not large so Id be wary of putting too much on the benchtops or it might look a little cluttered. It looks as though your wall cupboards are not built-in so you could utilise this space above the cupboards to have a display, such as baskets or a trailing plant

• trishok

I love the runners however my hubby has a disability and poor balance so no mats allowed at our place as they are a trip hazard. I think I'll put the toaster away and add a timber aspect as has been suggested. I'll post a picture when I can, I don't get much shopping time so it may take me a while! Thanks again everyone for your advice and suggestions.