regency_cream

Tiles for small laundry area floor that is open plan with pine floors

Regency Cream
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Opinions please, floor tiles

We are in the process of renovating a very small two bedroom 1960's house. It still had the original Tilux bathroom, fibro laundry, and a very dated kitchen. All the asbestos has been removed. The laundry was external off the back porch and adjacent to the kitchen. There was no access to the laundry from inside the house. A previous owner moved the kitchen door to increase the size of the kitchen and create internal access to the laundry, but to go outside it was like walking through a cupboard space to get to the back door. We have now removed the laundry wall so it is one area with the kitchen, however the laundry floor is concrete and the kitchen floor is cypress pine.

We were originally thinking to make the laundry a European laundry behind doors, but leaving the space open with the kitchen seems like a better idea to create a feeling of more spaciousness. Am hoping for ideas for the floor. We plan to tile it. Would it be best to blend the tiles with the cypress so that the area does not stand out, and the kitchen and laundry area seems more one room, or to make the laundry section floor a feature? I like the idea of it being like a foyer. We had purchased basket weave tiles in matte black and white for the laundry area before the wall had been removed and think now they are probably too vivid for the rest of the space?

In looking at tiles online, I have found some French pattern tiles that are porcelain but have a travertine look. These may be nice, though they are large format and the pattern may not be obvious, as once a bench for the laundry runs across the space there will only be approx 1.1m x 1.5m of an area of floor that you will still see. I've liked some encaustic look floor tiles too, however would be concerned with the space looking too busy or cluttered.

I'm also wanting to ensure that the floor tiles are timeless.

The cypress has been sanded and finished with bona white. We have not decided upon bench colour or splash back at this stage. The area is open plan with the loungeroom/ dining. The wall colour will be Dulux White Exchange Half. The kitchen cabinets will be hand painted in white with the laundry cabinets to match or we were thinking possibly a colour for the cabinets in the laundry section.

The old laundry space is 1.5m x 1.8m.

Here is a photo of the space, showing the back wall. The kitchen sink will be under the window. It will be a farmhouse sink.

Would really value some opinions please. Any suggestions for tile type - patterned/ non patterned? The doorstep is merbau.

Basketweave mosaic tiles

French pattern "travertine look"

Giving an idea of size- cabinet doors are 600mm, 450mm, 450mm. (These will be painted and used in the kitchen.)

Comments (28)