england01

Ugly duckling needs a facelift

england01
5 years ago

Hi Guys,

Please help with suggestions about how we can modernise the front of our house. The balustrade started out red, then I painted it grey, but it doesn't fit in at all with the light roof and windows. Hubby doesn't want to paint the gutters and roof to match, so I'm sure that painting the bricks isn't an option either. How can we hide the ugly red quoins?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

Alyssa

Comments (15)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Well, I was about to suggest redoing the landscaping , but I see you have already cleared the decks! Much better! What do you have planned for this small garden bed, may I ask?

The red quoins were not as noticeable when the balcony and posts were painted red, but I do like the charcoal colour better. Had you considered paint ting ONLY the quoins...perhaps a light grey - picked out from house bricks?

A couple of matching leafy green plants in tallish planters would help soften the darkness of the balcony.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I agree with hubby re NOT painting roof or downspouts...they look good as is. I. Wonder how the garage door would look painted charcoal to match the balcony? And maybe the window trims too? If not interested in that amount of work and possible ongoing maintenance, perhaps just the garage door.

• england01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions annb1997. LOL We pulled the plants out when we first moved in and have been living with dirt patches since then as we've been concentrating on renovating the interior. Thinking of putting in a new path in line with the front door with tallish plants down either side and maybe some dark stones around the plants.

We have to paint the eves on the upper level, but I'm not doing that until we finalise the colour as it's bloody high up there!!!! :)

• england01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was thinking about painting the garage door, I wonder if I can get that one past Hubby!!!! :) I want to avoid painting the windows are there's a lot of them and they are in pretty good condition. Might look into painting the quoins though. Thanks.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Garage door would be much simpler! The uneven surface is a bit fiddly though, but second coat would go on easier than the first! Good luck! Look forward to After Photos in future!

• me me
    5 years ago
    I agree garage door would look better painted the same colour as balcony railings. Perhaps repaint the railings the same as current door colour.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I think if you paint the base of the upper verandah the same colour as the garage door and paint over the dark trim on the garage it will look better, sorry I couldn't get the colour correct or the actual shape

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I think annb’s idea of painting the garage door to match your balcony would look great, then add some gorgeous plants in your garden, a water feature would look beautiful , sleepers make a statement as a path or pavers with stones looks great also, we painted our window trims in our old house and they still look great 6 years on.
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Julie, were your windows aluminium or timber? I’m asking because I have that job ahead of me in our old farmhouse. The old timber double-hungs are being replaced with aluminium sliders, but we are keeping the aluminium windows in the extension. It’s these windows I have to paint (exterior only) to match the new ones. I have a feeling painting timber is much easier and longer lasting than aluminium...?

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi annb, the windows that we painted were aluminium,we used Dulux weathershield low sheen, just made sure they were free of dirt and dust , they looked great , so well worth it, even painted the outside blinds and they are still looking fab also.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Sorry about my sad colour in job, but what I was trying express is that the way the verandah has been painted is too heavy and should have followed the first photo that was posted, just painting the 80's pink the new colour

For me I'am totally over dark grey, Matt black would be ageless.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Thank you, Julie! There are also retractable exterior awnings I’m hoping to paint. Did you use the same exterior paint for your blinds? I thought I would experiment with one to see how it takes the paint (they are also pretty old, I just don’t know HOW old). Thanks again. :)

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Yes annb we used same paint with a small roller, they had that scallop on them also so we trimmed it off and it made it look like a really modern blind, it’s terrific what can be done with a bit of paint.
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

They look great. Good idea cutting off the scalloped edge...we have that too so I may well do that too.