mpresnall

Form Ply Joinery Durability

Mel Whitson
April 12, 2019
We are thinking of using the black form ply as joinery for our kitchen, laundry and other storage cabinetry. But I’d like to know if the black has durability or if it can get scratched and chipped during normal wear and tear?

• siriuskey

I remember a young architect using it for his kitchen and as he said the only mistake he made was trying to use it as bench top as well, it doesn't take that wear.

We have just recently added some draws to our 900 x 600 Bunnings pantries and used this ply as the front panel of the draws, I wish that we had used it as the base as it's so strong.

I would suggest that you pick up a small piece from Bunnings (who cut ours for free) and stand it in the kitchen to see how it goes.

• HU-513084698

Hey Mel,

Just wondering if you ended up going with the formed ply?

• Mel Whitson

Hi HU-513084698,

We haven’t built yet - just going to DA. But at this stage it’s still the option that’s most likely. Will hopefully carry it through from kitchen cabinetry, Butler’s pantry, laundry cabinetry, master walk-in wardrobe and potentially bathroom vanity. I am a bit cautious about it showing fingerprints... and it is most often used for kitchen cabinetry with the edge being a feature which I’m not sure I’ll love for the next 20 years so I’m hoping for a more streamlined minimalistic look and wondering if it’s still worth using in this way for the kitchen at least.

• Mel Whitson

Hi Siriuskey

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. It’s been helpful in guiding my decision-making. We are still at the DA stage so yet to finalise these specific details yet but it is a likely option for us

• PRO
    Select Custom Joinery

Whilst formply is becoming trendy to use in kitchens, please be aware the product's intention is for short-term use such as concreting: https://www.plywoodandpanel.com.au/formply/ . If you are intending your kitchen to last over time, you are better off looking at products that are intended for durability. A furniture grade veneered plywood will give a similar look with much more durability than formply and less likelihood of doors and shelves bellying and bowing.

• Mel Whitson

Thank you Select Custom Joinery. That is very useful information about its longevity. Is this something you have personally come across as an outcome?

• PRO
    Select Custom Joinery

Hi Mel, yes we have successfully used other products to give a formply look, whilst achieving increased durability and sustainability with the solution provided. Any material used for interior joinery needs to suit the purpose. Plywoods come in different grades and not all are suitable for interior joinery and furniture; that is why some people complain they have used ply and it has bellied or bowed. If the plywood fits the purpose, the outcome can be gorgeous and durable.

• Mel Whitson

Thank you Select Custom Joinery!

• siriuskey

Sirius · More Info

we did our kitchen benchtop with Plywood selected by the owner of Mr Plywood Newcastle, it is beautiful and extremely cost effective for a 2700 x 1200 Island.

As far as caring for it you treat it as you would any timber benchtop.

An Architect friend also used it as a deeper laminated benchtop, the ply was cut into strips and turned on its end before being laminated to the next piece. this gives you a visual bench top which shows all the cut edges and looks amazing

Sirius · More Info

• Mel Whitson

Siriuskey - your home is lovely. Thank you for sharing it. The ply bench top works in well with the other warm colours. I love the creative ideas.