lisa_ballistreri

Ikea voxtorp vs ekestad kitchens

Lisa Brown
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone installed an Ikea voxtorp or ekestad kitchen? We have a 1960 modest home and looking at what may suit for an eat in kitchen near an open staircase. We are thinking white stone bench top and darkish grey rectangular tiles but need help choosing cabinets!

If you have pictures of finished kitchens that would be great!!

Many thanks,

Lisa

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Just do a Google image search for "Voxtorp" and "Ekestad". They are very different kitchens, with the Voxtorp being very neutral with a slightly contemporary feel - so you will need to be sure that it works with your white stone benchtop as there are lots of different whites. With the "Ekestad" you will need to be sure that it works with other timber elements in your home, such as polished timber floorboards, and your timber staircase. You don't want too many different types of timber species and colours in close proximity to each other.

In this image you can see how the grain of the Ekestad drawers is mismatched and not continuous over adjacent drawers. This drives some people crazy with distraction, and other people don't even notice it. Had you considered combining both "Voxtorp" and "Ekestad" into the same kitchen as in this photo?

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Lisa Brown
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Alistair,
    Thanks for your quick reply. Don’t know if you remember our house in Wahroonga but we are finally starting some small works. Leaving the staircase position but flipping it around. I hadn’t thought of combining the IKEA options and you’re right we have a lot of different timbers in the house. My google search wasn’t great but in your photo, I like the ekestad and tile splash back. I’m a little concerned the voxtorp is too modern. Decision is being made tomorrow as we are purchasing tomorrow. If only we could stretch the budget for a beautiful cedar kitchen!

Thanks for the advice Dr Retro,
    Cheers
    Lisa
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Of course I remember visiting your home with its beautiful bushland setting. I am currently finalising a job a few streets away and drove past your house not so long ago to get a sticky beak at your renovation progress from the street.

One of the good things about Ikea is that the doors are interchangeable to the white carcasses. If you are not 100% sure you can buy just the white carcasses, get them assembled while making your decision about the doors. Or even purchase a small drawer front of each type and see how they look at home against your proposed benchtop and existing timber.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

(PS I really liked what you did with the paint colours in your old kitchen)

Lisa Brown thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • Lisa Brown
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Alistair,

Nothing has been done outside but we have decided on teal on the cladding. As for our old kitchen, the different colours a la Rose Seidler are the only things I like! I would like to add some of those colours to our new kitchen either on cabinet or behind open shelf units. That's a great idea to delay choosing door fronts and get samples.

Thanks for the great advice again, make sure you pop in for a cuppa next time,

Lisa