webuser_101152561

Regional 70s inspired split level cladding and brick exterior

Charlotte B
5 years ago

Hi,

I am new to renovating but have a new home in Ipswich QLD. This home is a bit dated and i want to make it tidy to rent out but also make the front a bit more appealing.

Open to any ideas, so i don't end up going off the beaten path :)

I was going to paint and perhaps replace the glazing for newer glass?

Any tips would me much appreciated :)

Charlotte

Comments (8)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Hi Charlotte. Congratulations on your purchase. some ideas:

Definately paint fascia boards and shed door, AND weatherboards and/or enclosed sunroom cladding (if needed - can’t tell from photo).

RE windows: only replace if not operating properly or of poor quality and/or thermal properties.

RE Amber glass: not sure if this was the glass you want to replace. I’m not a big fan of the amber glass, but If you don’t like it by all means go ahead and replace it.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Pressure wash all concrete areas.

Replace outdoor light for larger and brighter one (marine grade). The small one pictured isn’t doing much for illumination and it’s too small for size of wall.

Leave brick as is. It looks fine. Whatever paint colour you choose for fascia and shed door should complement bricks.

Trim and tidy all bushes and landscaping plants. The shrub obscuring the steps to entry need to be trimmed by one-third.

Does the metal ballustrading & handrail need paint as well?

• annb1997
    5 years ago

A couple of Acapulco chairs (aqua?) or small Colourful cafe table & chairs on patio would look inviting. Maybe a couple of hardy potted plants (tall pots) also.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

It appears the front fence is black. Is that right? Maybe paint the step ballustrading & handrail could be painted to match?

• annb1997
    5 years ago

What is the gravel area under sunroom used for?

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I think once you have decided upon and carried out the improvements to the building, you might consider what to do about the garden, apart from general tidy up. Low maintenance yet attractive may work best for you and any renters.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

That sunroom looks like the one on the house next door to us and it was a verandah, Keep the mid century vibe as it's once again popular and that means retaining the amber coin glass.

Freshen up the paint and do a big tidy up in the garden. Great house