jenn_sinclair

Security Screens Vs. Insect Screens

Jenn Sinclair
4 years ago

We're buildilng a house and I'm getting two big 2.4m high x 6m wide Stacker Doors for our Living & Kitchen area that flows out onto our Alfresco. I'm just trying to decide whether to put in Insect Mesh Screen or Security Screen (Crimsafe Alternative). I just don't want it to block the views and the breezes.

Our current house has the diamond grill with insect mesh screening. Although we have cross ventilation, we find it blocks out a whole lot of breezes. As soon as we step outside the doors we feel the beautiful breeze but back inside our house it's so stale and warm!

Can anyone tell me which might be better for views & breezes?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

I don't think there is any noticeable difference for breezes. The main influence will be the ability to have cross flow ventilation, which means to have openable windows on the opposite so that breezes naturally flow through the house. A large opening on only one side (such as your stacker doors) isn't enough to get a breeze flowing through your home.

DuChateau Floors - Terra Collection in Zimbabwe / Horwitz Residence by Minarc · More Info

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Do you need security screens, there are other ways to secure your home, it's a shame your doors are 2.4 they could have had some opening highlight windows above them. And agree to having other windows for cross ventilation.

I really dislike those security doors, it's sending two messages, they might put off any intruders but also signal potential buyers that there's a problem with the neighborhood.

• Jenn Sinclair
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We do have operable louvres above these stacker doors as we will have high ceilings. This could help drag the hot air up and out?

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hot air rises so as long as you have some cross ventilation you should be OK

• Gallifrey
    4 years ago

Do you really need either? We have large stackers like this and chose no to ruin the view or the feel of the connection to the deck. Our previous house had ugly security screens everywhere, and we don't miss them at all. We live in Brisbane and the insects don't worry us.

• Kate
    4 years ago

If the doors open to a fenced yard you should only need screens not security unless you are in a bad area or want to leave them open when in bed Or out