jo_wst

Kitchen cooktop: gas, induction or ceramic

Jo Wst
4 years ago

Hi, we a building a duplex, one to live in & one to sell and hope we can create ‘maximum apoeal’ on one we sell. I love induction but I want to know what would you prefer in a new home?

Gas
Induction
Ceramic/electric

Comments (13)

• Jo Wst
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for participating, I really appreciate the feedback so please feel free to comment on the ‘why’ behind your vote :)

• Sara Graham
    4 years ago
    This can be quite emotive. People are very attached to cooking with gas, especially people who enjoy cooking. However, once they try induction they usually never look back. It’s safe, easy to clean, instantly changes heat and easy to control, fast etc. we had induction in my last place and loved it. I’m putting an induction cooktop in my new home, in part for all the reasons ddaroch has stated above. We’ll be all electric, even though gas is available. The one thing gas does much better than induction is wok cooking. There are work arounds though. Overall I prefer induction.
    Jo Wst thanked Sara Graham
  • Lucy Telfar Barnard
    4 years ago

Where I am, electricity is mostly from renewable sources, whereas gas is not. Also gas reduces indoor air quality. We've had gas for years, and it's great, but we'll be switching to induction in our remodel.

Jo Wst thanked Lucy Telfar Barnard
  • Carmel Callan
    4 years ago

Not sure where you are but bottled LPG is the way to go

Superior to electricity and cheap a 9kg bottles lasts us 3 months for a family of 5

or you can get the large LPG bottles if you heat water as well

Jo Wst thanked Carmel Callan
  • ddarroch
    4 years ago
    Bottled LPG is actually the most expensive form of heating. For cooking (which is not a large user of energy) it may be ok. But I'd never consider bottled LPG for my primary heat source (for hot water & space heating). For most people this would cost a bucket load! The only time this could work out is for somebody with very, very low heating requirements, when daily service charges form a very large proportion of the bill to be hooked up to natural gas.
    Jo Wst thanked ddarroch
  • Jo Wst
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for voting & commenting- it is all super useful feedback. We live in Qld, so hot summers & no gas connection for a bit more context

• PRO
    Fontaine Industries
    4 years ago

We tend to agree with genkii's comment that people are very attached to cooking with gas, perhaps because open flame has been the main way throughout time and it's what we are used to!

However, as a new technological generation is breaking into the housing market, expectations can be a little different. We recommend opting induction over electric as it's both interesting and practical with the added benefit of the safety feature.

Jo Wst thanked Fontaine Industries
  • Alisa D
    4 years ago

Gas - Because when the power goes out. You don’t have to eat sandwiches for dinner.

Jo Wst thanked Alisa D
  • PRO
    Moss Furniture
    4 years ago

I would try for both a 30 cm gas 2 burner and then install a small induction cooktop along side it. That way your buyer can have the choice. I have personally done this in my kitchen and use both cooktops most days.

Jo Wst thanked Moss Furniture
  • Trent
    4 years ago

We’re getting the best of both worlds in our new build with the Asako Duo Fusion. It’s a little more expensive but we do a lot of cooking with both gas and electric.

https://the35thweek.blogspot.com

Jo Wst thanked Trent
  • PRO
    Unit Appliance PTY LTD
    2 years ago

The modern home is full of appliances that help make our lives easier. From the kitchen to the laundry room, there are machines that make everyday tasks faster and more pleasant. Whether you need appliance service and repair for your dryer or your dishwasher, Unit Appliances can help. Get in touch with us today to find out more about our services or to schedule a repair call. https://unitappliances.com.au/how-often-is-appliance-repair-and-service-necessary/

• davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi there

We have recently renovated and gone from gas to induction and absolutely love it.

The performance is amazing and design is so sleek it will go with any style of interior. It also gives you a surface for hot items from the oven which may reduce damage to bench tops. Something we learned along the way is you may need to run extra power for induction and this can be costly. Good luck with your project