sally_turno

Gas Strut Servery Window, where do i get one that won't kill my budget

Sally Turno
4 years ago

Hi Houzzers - I'm currently looking for a custom built aluminium gas strut servery window approx 1.5m wide and 1.3m tall. I am finding it impossible to locate a supplier in Melbourne and also one that won't charge me an arm and a leg. I'm hoping someone might have a contact that might be able to help me. thankssssss :)

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

Believe me, but you don't want to own a custom-made, custom sized aluminium gas-strut window that has been made cheaply as so much can go wrong if the quality is not there. Either find the money for a properly designed and engineered gas-strut window, that will be a wonderful feature, or go with a sliding window that aligns to your price expectations.

Mid-century modern garden studio/guest house · More Info

If you do find a company that designs, engineers and builds specialized, custom windows to a good, quality standard, at a cheap price, then be sure to let me know!

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Tricky Nosi
    4 years ago

Are gas strut windows worth it in comparison to bi fold windows? My concern with these is that it's all or nothing. Any views anyone ?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Flip up and bi-fold are indeed "all or nothing" options that can be tricky to screen too. Both also rely heavily on well-engineered operating mechanisms and as such come with increased potential for problems.

I once stayed in a house on North Stradbroke Island which had a large flip up gas strut supported timber framed window over the north facing kitchen sink with views to Cape Moreton. (I now wish I had a photo to share, but sadly I was too much in the moment to take any.) Standing at the sink, looking north over the Coral Sea with Humpback whales breaching in the distance was one of those forever moments. Plus, our elevated situation seemed to reduce the number of insects that came through the unscreenable window. In that case I wouldn't have compromised on spending to get that window out of the way. For just about every other context I would opt for a less complex, less costly, screenable, servery style window.