suetheron_london

Help please! Kitchen layout, 1927 house, small constrained, 3m ceiling

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi there - I'd really appreciate some thoughts and impressions on the following. Renovating my (new to me) 1927 brick cottage. No functional kitchen atm. Although I'll be adapting a second-hand kitchen for the space, I'm using the online Ikea kitchen planner to look at the options.

A few constraints on the space:

• only two functional walls (the other two have built-in fireplace, built-in pantry and a walkway).
  • old crumbly clay handmade bricks mean I don't want to cut or suspend anything off the walls - prefer floor-mount or ceiling suspended

floor dimensions

existing layout (currently this is my renovation office):

see the entry door and pantry below - this is 700mm wide, I will refurbish with sensor lights, microwave, and drawers

MY PREFERRED LAYOUT

pros:

• open
  • comfortable bench space
  • room for a round dining table

cons:

• fridge is squeezed next to window. Only 800mm clear from window frame to wall, this will restrict the type of fridge I can have, and having the sink cabinetry start not aligned with the edge of the window frame would potentially always be irritating
  • no appliance cupboard

SECOND CONTENDER

Pros:

• more storage
  • has an appliance cupboard next to the stove (Ikea planner wouldn't let me paint this brown like the other cabinetry)

Cons:

• awkward space for fridge - unknown width? If I make it 1m wide, there will be awkward empty space around the fridge
  • the fridge is prominent when you walk into the kitchen
  • a bit of a claustrophobic feeling with the range hood and high cabinets
  • what to do with the heights of the cabinets? If I make them door height - ie 2100H - then there's a horrible hidden shelf on top which will get filthy. If I take the cabinets up to ceiling height then will the whole thing look top-heavy and dominate the space in an unwanted way?

a few more options which I've ruled out:

(awkward corner near stove, and tiny appliance cupboard looks wrong on the side)

(isolated fridge is far too prominent in the kitchen, and creates awkward space near stove)

I've been overthinking this whole thing, so would really appreciate some fresh eyes on this, thanks in advance :-) !!

Comments (20)