bhp19

Scandia Stylist 10 wood heater?

bhp19
4 years ago

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone on here had any experience with the Scandia brand of wood fires, specifically the ‘Stylist’ model?

We are looking at different options for a wood fire in a new home, this model seems to stack up on paper compared to a much more expensive brand ($2500 vs $10,000!) with the only difference being that one is ‘handmade in the French alps’ and the other robotically welded together in China.

I’d really like to hear from others experience as we will be building it into a wall so we do t want to buy a lemon.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)

• bhp19
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anybody?

• Jodes
    4 years ago

We looked at Scandia when shopping around. I couldn’t find any reviews. In the end decided to go with the brand our supplier recommended. They had one on display and lit so could feel the output.

• HU-775459409
    4 years ago

Hi. Just wondering if you ended up buying the scandia stylist 10? I think it looks great over most of the other wood burners ive looked at. But cant find a single review online. Hope to hear from

• bhp19
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi HU, no not yet, we’ve been dragging our heels a bit with our build so haven’t yet experienced one, sorry.

• mangos77
    3 years ago

Hi bhp19, just wondering if you ended up going with this wood heater? We are looking into it too but it makes me nervous I can’t find any reviews. thanks

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi mangos, no not yet, we are still intending to get one but it will only be for secondary heating and ambience after using our ducted reverse cycle system using solar power throughout the day.
    We’re planning to build ours in which significantly reduces its effectiveness (300m2 > 100m2), but I intend to use an in-line fan to distribute the heat trapped inside the walls around the wood heater to other parts of the house.
    We are at frame stage of building our new home now, so even though I expect us to move in just before Xmas (I hope!!!) I don’t think we will be using it much right away.
    I’ll be sure to update this post when we get it though.

• Chris Clarke
    3 years ago

Hi all, we purchased the Stylist 10 a couple of months ago and to be honest I wish we didn’t. The first unit had to be replaced as several sections of the fire place hadn’t been painted. The next one was better (but the paint is still average), we ordered the wood box to go under the fire box. The mounting holes in the storage box and fire didn’t lineup correctly. After using the fire for 3 weeks the door dropped and you barely open the door. Tried calling Scandia on the number in the warranty manual and it is disconnected. We called our local Bunnings store and they gave us another number. When we called the number the Scandia employee was very rude, demanding that we tell her how we got the phone number. Turns out the door hinge adjustment (2 bolts) is easy but I would expect it would take longer the 3 weeks before the bolts would come lose. Then a few weeks later my wife was cleaning the glass, when the weld on bottom hinge pin broke and the door fell off. We took the door & hinge to a local welder and they fixed it but said that it was a terrible design and the “small tack weld was never going to hold the weight”. Lasting don’t buy this fire if you want it to burn through the night, the air flow doesn’t shut down very much so you burn through a lot of wood. I would never purchase a Scandia product again, it is hard to pick which is worse the quality of the product or their lack of after sales support.

• HU-511548716
    3 years ago

We installed the Styliste 10 in our new home last year but have just had to remove it and install another wood heater. We couldn't stop the smoke pouring out the door when opening to put more wood in. It was a health hazard and Scandia customer service were most unhelpful. The quality is poor & the baffle setup doesn't allow the flue to draw the smoke out efficiently. It looks great but that's all. The air control is at the top which makes it difficult to get a fire going also. After many emails to customer service, having profesdionals inspect it at our own cost & having another length of flue installed (Scandia's suggestion), Bunnings agreed to return it. I would never have another one. We replaced it with a Nectre & it's wonderful & no smoke!

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmmm, this isn’t looking good, does anybody know of another brand that has the sleek looks of the Stylist 10 but without the issues, and preferably not triple the cost?

• HU-731644876
    3 years ago

Hi there, I was the same and couldn’t find any reviews eithe, Scandia’s service is terrible as we waited nearly 4 months for inwall heat retainer box. That said we installed it and it is running really well, we will keep you posted! Now to finish off our inbuilt cavity fascia and mantle

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, when you say ‘inwall heat retainer box’ do you mean the Zero Clearance box?

• HU-731644876
    3 years ago

Yes zero clearance box, I’m wondering if people are installing it correctly? It is very efficient and amazing heat productio. We won’t be here forever so were looking for a cost effective wood heater and so far we have been impressed, we live in South Gippsland and it gets very cold down here in winter.

• Matt Killick
    3 years ago

Just be very careful, our baffle plate and air rods bent severely within the first season, no warranty and even worse customer service stay clear of the brand

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, what did they say was the cause of that Matt?

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can anybody recommend another brand with the good looks like the Stylist 10, but not as many possible issues, preferably without the $10k+ price tag of some retailers (Woodpecker)?

• HU-731644876
    3 years ago

We installed a Stylist 10 inbuilt fireplace as per specifications and after 3 days of use it started to warp, we waited forever to get parts for this and then paid for plumbers and builders only to get them back to remove it. Shocking service from Scandia and poorly built product, I would never recommend this ever.

• Tamatoa Armani
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there, I also looked at scandia as we are looking for that contemporary look and only other brand that I found with a reasonable price tag is ADF. It's made in Portugal but could not find any reviews on their products. Does anyone know of them? Link here https://www.thefireplace.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=843&Itemid=296

• bhp19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m now looking at ADF also, the only thing that concerns me is they only have a 5 year warranty and seeing as we will be building it in I’d hate to have to pull it out again after only 5 years.

• HU-645455597
    3 years ago

Hi. I have read these comments and am really surprised - although a couple I share - i have the ten installed in room that is completely open on east side so on a minus 2 evening that’s what it is under the roof. the heater does smoke on start up so we leave the door open and wait until the fire is established Some may think this is a design issue and maybe it is but the cold steel will not draw warm air up until it’s warm. once that’s achieved the fire is beautiful. I don’t like the vermiculite tiles so am having a steel floor and back made with 50mm risers/dogs to life the kindling off the base and enable airflow underneath. That’s a choice not a fault. I have a Ned Kelly and it needs cleaning frequently too and its burn is far less efficient than the Scandia. I don’t burn 800mm logs but use standard RedGum and Sugar gum and the latter requires more heat energy to get going but once it’s burning it is also beautiful. the burn leaves almost no coals and logs retain shape but just turn to ash So in my view its more efficient than a few others I’ve seen and used inc the Ned BUT Customer service is useless and uninformed I was told the heater had fans and of course it doesn’t hence the thermals on top deck I can see people have had horror stories and experiences and that’s terrible but I’m happy as and would buy again I didn’t want to spend 10-15k as I wanted a large heater not a smaller one

• James McHenry
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've read some horror stories regarding the styliste 10 after we installed ours...
    However it's wonderful! I've had the outer skin of the zero clearance hot to the touch and the airtubes and baffle are fine. It stays lit overnight. We've had it going non stop the last 3 weeks.

• David Page
    2 years ago

I am reviewing the Styliste 10 also at Bunnings. The price is great but the quality is rubbish. The Bunnings guy couldn't open and close the door with the tiny lever unless he pushed his butt on the glass. Imagine doing that when it's hot. I'm going with ADF. My neighbour has one and rates it highly. Scandia were hopeless in support - the customer lady tried to be helpful but their techo people fobbed her off (told her to tell the customer to adjust the hinges). Good luck trying to escalate it to the Scandia Group (Jake is the owner) - it'll go nowhere. Goodbye Scandia.

• James McHenry
    2 years ago

Now over a year installed and currently running everyday. Not a single issue since adjusting the door (pretty standard amongst units with the larger doors) shuts and closes easily. I added a fan to the zero clearance box and heats 150sqm 1980's house with ease. Incredibly happy!

• HU-731644876
    2 years ago

We purchased a stylist 10 from Bunnings and we used it 3 times and the metal bowed on the top, ours was a built-in unit and we were just lucky we hadn’t tiled the surrounds as it had to be pulled out. Bunnings were terrific and refunded our money in full, I know others who have had troubles too with the same model. We ended up getting an Australian made Jindara built-in and couldn’t be happier with it, we were recommended by friends and would thoroughly recommend them.

• David Page
    2 years ago

James, from the other comments it looks like you are very lucky.

HU, thanks for the feedback on Jindara - I looked but they are not wide enough for my space.

Problem with ADF is they are not coming until Sept 2022 (from Portugal) - builder not happy.

• Timothy John
    2 years ago

@James McHenry - James, how did you add a fan to the zero clearence box and what fan?

• James McHenry
    2 years ago

@Timothy John on the outer skin was a 6" perforated section. Snapped it out and put some 150mm flex pipe from a ducted exhaust fan. Fan is switched on via google home.