sarah_simpkin78

The busiest wall you've ever seen.... :/

Sarah G
4 years ago

Hi all, looking for ideas/advice on this situation.... It's so busy and there's so much clash between the brick and the silver pressed tin, it drives me crazy.

The situation was worse when we first moved in: the walls around the silver tin were painted peach and the ceiling was cream. We rely on the heater in winter and the aircon unit in summer, so both those monsters are pretty much stuck where they are. Reinstating the fireplace as a real one isn't an option, anyway, as the chimney was knocked down to widen the driveway years ago, and it's been used as a gas heater spot since.The white parts around the heater are there because the heater doesn't take up the whole of the fireplace opening, so you can see the old fire space behind and around it - and gas heater-related pipes etc - when the white boards aren't there. We painted the mantel white because previously it was peach.(!) The metal plate in front of the heater on the floorboards appears to be there to cover a bit of concrete there (not sure why the floorboards are interrupted with concrete but story of my life with this place!).

Outside the house is the same brick, and we were considering a limewash to lighten and neutralise the colour, so I had been thinking perhaps (option 1) we could do the same to this brick: perhaps with a really pale grey tint. Other thoughts were:

2) paint the mantel and heater-surrounding-boards - maybe a medium grey colour

3) replace the air con unit with something less ugly (expensive? are the new ones any less ugly?)

4) paint the air con unit cover white (this could be a really bad idea I guess)

5) strip the mantel and find out what hardwood is underneath

6) put something else around the heater?

7) paint the pressed tin white

8) leave it alone!

Would love to hear your thoughts. I'm getting too far in my head on this, and having trouble thinking clearly!

Comments (28)