christina_mcintosh1197693

What flooring to use for extension?

Christina
4 years ago

We are putting an extension on our Post War timber cottage (QLD). The extension will be the main living area for the house (open plan living, dining, kitchen and opening out to pool area), but the entrance to the house will still be through the existing front door.

Current flooring is Cypress Pine, which currently has quite a yellow tinge to it. It is partially covered by a floating, timber laminate floor (a very cheap, DIY job) which will be removed. The exposed floor is in good condition, but not sure about the section under the laminate - we may need to re-finish.

Question is, what flooring to do in the extension?? I was leaning towards tiles, based on the principal that it is better to go with something contrasting than trying (and failing) to match the existing. We do prefer the feel of timber under foot though.

Some of the options are:

* Install cypress pine through the extension and refinish existing boards to try and match in. I don't love the "yellowness" of pine, so I'm not sure if the boards could be stained to tone this down? I'm also a little concerned about the servicability as the pine can be soft and mark easily - is this just extra "character"?

* Choose a timber floor that we love (hardwood or engineered??) for the extension and accept that it is not going to match.

* Deliberately choose a contrasting timber floor (eg parquetry) to provide a clear contrast to the existing.

* Tiles

Any thoughts or learnings from your own experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)