metricon glendale sydney

Sumera
4 years ago

living room decorating tips

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

You have a blank canvas to work with with a neutral colour scheme. I would suggest engaging a professional interior designer to help steer you away from bland and generic to help design an interior that reflects your personality and means something to you. Somebody who knows how to use colour well and isn't afraid of it. The best interiors always reflect the personality of their owners and don't look like a generic greige real estate photo shoot.

Make sure that your home is as individual as you are, and don't use (un)reality television shows as a benchmark for good taste.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    Weaver Interiors
    4 years ago

Here, here, Dr Retro. Those rugs and especially the dining chairs are very out-of-date - hope you haven't purchased them.

We have moved on design wise. If, however, the dining chairs are in your posession, they can be modified and updated when new fabric is selected.

Dash & Albert have a good range of reasonably priced floor rugs, all coming in different sizes.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

Yep, definitely get a designer involved.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Weaver interiors, if a client really likes a certain type of design, but is not 'up to date' would you still take on their work? In my opinion, a persons personality should be shown in their home, furnishings and artwork. Even if it is not the current trend.

• lg_eg
    4 years ago

Nice new home, I like the chairs you have picked out, maybe try to get a rug with some colour in it

• lg_eg
    4 years ago

Maybe a more contemporary style rug, with a bit of blue, depends on what style you like, check out temple and webster.

• PRO
    Weaver Interiors
    4 years ago

Dear Dreamer, if you are asking designers for information, surely you would appreciate present and future direction, rather than spending your hard earned cash on something that is dated and entering the realm of 'oh no, not again'. I assist many people with classic design preferences and advise accordingly, but if you look at the style of the premises being discussed, it is relatively modern and has simple, clean lines which will be enhanced by the choice of furnishings. I do not like change for the sake of it, but good design and good workmanship are appreciated for much longer than a ubiquidous fad.

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

guys appreciate all your comments. I have already purchased the chairs from barosa as per the designer there . also picked up leather recliners from Nick scali Brighton taupe colour.
    can't decide rug , coffee table , accent chairs

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dr retro your poom design is so eclectic and u r right I am scared to use colours . the chairs for the dining table were picked up by the recommendation of a designer at barosa.

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ig your recommendation for the floor rug is interesting I didn't think of having blue as I wanted a trellis design

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

Sumera, sorry to say that the "designer" at Brosa Furniture is a salesperson first, and a "designer" second. Some "designers" at furniture places work on commission so you should always approach with care. A service offered by a professional interior designer will involve a visit to your home to get to understand your likes and dislikes and your existing home. A bit like being measured up for a tailor made suit as opposed to being sold something off the rack as the sales assistant says that you look good in it!

Best of luck on your discoveries,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou julie I'll keep that in mind.

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

pendant lights I like gold but my husband thinks it's over the top and we should have maybe the dome shaped white or black I am not sure which one for our kitchen which is quite neutral colour

Heritage · More Info

Bridgetown in Wexford Plantation · More Info

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My mind is going crazy now so many decisions to make so many colours and styles how to put them together. need big time help

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Hi Sumera, Those black pendants with copper underneath would take away the blandness . A rug with colour in it and toning cushions would help .

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Those rugs looked great and the coffee table as well from Julie’s post . What colours do you like ? Red ,green , turquoise, gold , orange , blue ? Look up rugs in your colour choice and then get your cushions . Artwork is great from Bluethumb for paintings .

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for suggesting the pendants will a black pendant look good on a white/ cream kitchen I couldn't decide earlier but now will consider this .

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

for carpet: I was not sure which colour, our tiles are off white and the dining chairs are heron grey I think I would prefer a beige / off white rug with some colour without drawing too much attention. can't be pink for sure

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

this is what was suggested to me

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what colour your cabinets are from photo, they look a creamy/mustard colour. Therefore I would go with colours the same as Julie has shown in her photos. Earthy rustic colours, not the blue. Also your tiles are very glossy, and I feel they need toning down. So a large rug in earthy colours. Lots of indoor plants. This is one room, therefore needs to be decorated with the kitchen colours incorporated.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I also like the black with copper pendant lights.

• PRO
    Weaver Interiors
    4 years ago

Things are getting messy here - too many cooks and not enough restrictions on direction.

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

dreamer , my kitchen cabinets are two tone the top is pumice silk finish and base colour is white silk finish which u can't see on the photo. I like the photo attached .

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

coffee table: so as the legs of the dining table are dark brown does the coffee table have to be dark brown or metallic.

• bigreader
    4 years ago

Sumera, having a new house is very exciting. I’d suggest you take a breathe and enjoy what you’ve achieved so far. You don’t need to buy rugs, lights or cushions straight away. Live for a while before spending anymore money. In the meantime develop a look book here and on Pintrest. Just save any picture you like, after a while you’ll see themes develop.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Sumera. Congrats on making the big purchases. The rug in your last picture might be the right direction adding warmth but still the style pattern you mentioned u liked. But I would suggest you buy something on the basis you can return for full refund so you can see how it looks in place. Same with pendants etc. the room will change dramatically based on how you furnish it, and will over time develop into your style. Soft furnishings can always be updated. Good luck.

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

first step done now I have to finish the look

• Sumera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your tips and good advice about return and exchange policy so it's better to do local purchases.
    any ideas are welcome and places to purchase rugs , accessories , coffee table etc