hzdeleted_37228894

Which bedside tables?

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I need to purchase a pair of bedside tables for my bedroom. I need to choose carefully given my busy feature wall behind my headboard.

Any advice appreciated re colour, style and finish i.e. bedside tables on legs or solid through, timber or painted, delicate or heavy looking.

Note, walls are cargo white so look more cream due to timber ceilings. White bedside tables are not an option for me.

Comments (159)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

found this for $29 and the measurements are quite good, however, for that price what's the bet it looks cheap and nasty when i get it home and it's a stark plasticy white. the one I've got from Provincial is rubbed in areas so it's every so slightly rustic ...

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

That could work Anna, it may surprise you, once you have a bowl of flowers etc, it could be perfect, you must be exhausted but you are doing a fabulous job, it’s going to look stunning.

User thanked julie herbert
  • julie herbert
    4 years ago

So glad you are going neutral, that wallpaper will look fabulous, such a beautiful room and outlook.

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Hi Anna , Manchester Warehouse have a huge number of cushions and throws . If you haven’t chosen it might be worth looking .

User thanked Anne Monsour
  • Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Missed these .

• C P
    4 years ago

I wouldn't do something similar to another butler's tray- either both matching or two v different styles (but linked in colour).
    Are you not able to get a second one from Provincial Home Living?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fair point C P. yes I can get the same (it's on order).

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks amonymousanne . cushion needs to be pretty quiet given the wallpaper and the quilt cover. im noting the less noise (be it style and colour) of the furniture and linen the more my hummingbirds shine :-)

• dreamer
    4 years ago

What a change from your post on 18/7/2019. Well done.
    Anna Jessep
    18/7/19
    "Cant do white cant do white cant do white anywhere in house. It looks horrid given all other colours are warm."

• rwalton5
    4 years ago

Love your hummingbirds.

User thanked rwalton5
  • m_mdimond
    4 years ago

I love the mirror idea but make it more mirror than border as it will make the room feel biggier and reflect more light, you may hate shopping but think of the satisfaction when you have everything the way you love then it doesn't seem such a big deal the big picture, end game if you will. If you look on Ebay they have a lot of nice mirrors and those that have no border would suit there was even one vintage with a crinckle cut edge for $80.00 plus postage but that one had very minor spotting from paint fatigue at the back however there were some new options there as well it's worth looking at mirrors in home decor that way you don't have to leave home to buy but also as suggested some of the cheper shops like Kmart, Target, Cheap as chips etc all have options that don't cost a lot but still look great.

User thanked m_mdimond
  • m_mdimond
    4 years ago

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/77cm-high-PROVINCIAL-FRENCH-arched-MIRROR-RUST-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-NEW/223527383885?hash=item340b45334d:g:awwAAOSwqiJb4mqd

Check out this mirror as above it is French provincial style but had interesting style that I think would match you room beautifully. The link above I can't c+p it here. It certainly would reflect and make the area even more interesting a stylish. Just a thought. :)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

do you mean for the large wall next to bed or the small wall next to bathroom and cupboard?

• m_mdimond
    4 years ago

Oh sorry, I meant for your bedroom the design would suit your whole room and add interest as well as light to your room via reflection it ofcourse depends if YOU like it but I think it would look really stylish.

User thanked m_mdimond
  • PRO
    Wallcandy Art and Paint
    4 years ago

Hi Anna.....I have two beautiful soft black bedsides with pink crystal knobs for sale $465.00 for the pair ....they have been painted by me, I rescued them as they were unwanted brown furniture (oak).

the draws are a soft champagne colour..I think the dark colour would contrast beautifully with your wallpaper.....what you think? Joy

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for the sales pitch but they are not at all suitable. esp the size and style.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

User thanked siriuskey
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow! that's brilliant to see siriuskey. I think the first two pics look best i.e. light and neutral to let the wallpaper motif be the hero.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Mine too, a bit French/Australian farm house, love the lamps and the soft wide striped floor rug and the chair and the cane head board (ie: your mirror) and the pretty cushion on the chair, and the side tables andchests and and and, also might show how your asian inspired chest will work, perhaps next to the shuttered window

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the lamp I purchased is going back to the shop for a few reasons. it's not very heavy and the base made from glass = easy to be knocked over and I have tortoiseshell cat with attitude i.e. climbs on bedside tables and deliberately knocks things off to wake me up to feed her. also, though it looks nice in photos and from afar, the shade is actually (to me) quite cheap and nasty looking.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • C P
    4 years ago

I think you want to make sure if you do put anything on that side wall it's not too close to the wallpaper end as I felt your original mirror was a bit busy in that space.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

It’s a lovely mirror Anna but I think your instinct is right it will detract from your beautiful wallpaper.Loved the story of your cat, we adopted a Russian blue ‘Minnie’ at 12 years old , she has similar traits to yours, she puts her paw on my neck, not sure if she is taking my pulse but it’s her signal for her food, your cat is going to enjoy your beautiful bedroom as much as you will .

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What’s changed - additional bedside table, one new lamp , throw and cushion .

to come - one more identical lamp which is on order , large round mirror for large wall

Please ignore the blue pillowcases and mirrors on wall Plus modem home phone and cables which will all be moved

Thoughts re-the lamp? I thought the other one looked s lquite nice because it was big however up close the shade really did look cheap and nasty I was also nervous about the glass. But is the new one big enough? does It need to be big?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have since moved the tables closer to the bed. Should the lamp s be close to bed also ?

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Well Anna, how good do the neutral colours look, really pick up and highlight the wallpaper, maybe as you say move the lamp into centre of table, I think it looks great, you don’t want anything too large to overpower the space, a soft ,serene beautiful room, looking lovely.

• C P
    4 years ago

Looks fabulous. The lamp is plenty big enough. If I want to make my bed look nice (my bedroom is never that well styled to be honest) I use a thin coverlet which I tuck in with sheet and then fold doona into thirds and place that on bottom of bed as doonas often look rumply.

User thanked C P
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now for the dresser to go along back wall?!? Do I go timber, white or beige/taupe?!? Tall or wide?

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Hi Anna,
    I would look for something similar to these, a soft timber will bring warmth to the room,

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Or you could go a combined timber with white detail for something a little different or a vintage look .. it’s really starting to come together, all your hard work is now showing Anna, the blind blends perfectly with the neutral colour scheme.

• JE C
    4 years ago

I like the isea of combining white painted wood and timber finishes. Looking lovely.

User thanked JE C
  • m_mdimond
    4 years ago

I like the white and timber combo as well and I guess you'd have to decide what looks best, in that particular space, I like a tall myself but does it come in a white timber combo as the pics above seem to be more longer than tall but you may get it by looking about.

User thanked m_mdimond
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok I'm looking for the drawers now. @Julie, most of those you have featured are too wide. I've only 90-100cm to work with. Are you able to tell me where you saw the fourth last one you have featured. I think that is prob the only one that fit unfortunately.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thoughts on these? Im not a big fan of the last one but I do think a blend of white and timber will work well. I like the one that Julie has posted above better however.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Hi Anna,
    That one is from West Elm.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Hi Anna,
    This one the Eden from living elements is made from reclaimed wood

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Julie. Though I really like the reclaimed wood dresser, I’m keen to do a mix of timber and white to tie in with the white bedside tables. I can’t seem to find it on the west elm site ... maybe it’s out of stock ... http://www.westelm.com.au/dressers-armoires-we-au?page=2

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

It is so hard to find here, these from Amart are quite nice ‘Koro’ or ‘Boatwood’, this from Ab Fab furniture on EBay ‘Paddington tallboy’ will keep looking.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love them all ut shouldn’t I be making sure it ties in? Rest for furniture in house is that stylevsomewhat

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

I think that top one from Amart will look lovely with the room and will definitely carry on with your timber throughout, it’s different, has a light wood that will pick up the white of the tables, I would love it myself. Are you able to get a larger photo of it and see how it looks near tables.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

It’s the ‘Kori’

• m_mdimond
    4 years ago

Out od the Ab Fab furniture above I like the middle one the colours are perfect for your wall paper the only thing is it is rustic so you'd have to weigh up if that suits the rest of the room's furniture but it is soft rustic in the colours.

• legendaryflame
    4 years ago

The middle one is my pick too.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the middle one but think the first is best fit given 1. The but of white in it and 2. The steel feet as I’ve timber and steel in my lounge room

• C P
    4 years ago

Personally I like that first one best anyway but don't worry so much about needing to match furniture in another room. I think any of these will be fine for you.