lilirit

Parquet floor yay or nay?

lilirit
7 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry but i hate it? Ideas? Or should we just rip it up?

• 0825sam
    7 years ago
    I love herringbone so I would never rip this out. But I agree about refinishing with a different stain if you've lived with it and still hate it. Here's an ideabook with several different herringbone floors for ideas
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/341858
  • margenek
    7 years ago
    Wow, those are amazing photos. With the light stain I can't even tell they are herringbone. May be worth a try.
  • carmen morgan
    7 years ago
    Staining them is definitely worth a try unless its really expensive to have it done (doing it yourself?). Once the color is changed, you can add a gorgeous rug and you won't even think about the floor anymore.
  • Linda
    7 years ago
    I would stain it a very dark Expresso color which would make the pattern less noticeable maybe even striking.
  • Margo
    7 years ago
    I couldn't wait to rip the parquet out of my house, rip it out or cover it up ;)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    7 years ago
    living room · More Info
    Modular Sofa 01421 · More Info
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Often times parquet was put on a cement slab floor because the short pieces do not expand, contract or cup nearly as much as solid wood planks due to the constant moisture exchange. Do you have a lower level under your floors or a slab?

Consider bleaching the wood to even out the coloration and then apply a smoked oak finish. Look into Rubio Monocoat Smoke finishes
    http://www.monocoat.us/Creative-Effects/

Or a dark stain (suggest you look at Zar stain 6 parts Moorish Teak and 1 part Rosewood). The color works well with red tones and grey tones and would be quite nice allowing the pattern to provide interest and texture but eliminates the obvious grain and color contrasts.
  • rinked
    7 years ago
    I would not pick a grey, maybe sand and bleach the wood for a more natural silvergrey sheen. Espresso colored stain is a good idea. Painting it black or white is also a possibility.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/9th-street-brownstone-eclectic-toronto-phvw-vp~81015

sporadicSPACE · More Info

Parade Home · More Info
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    7 years ago
    How about adding some cabinets? If you would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us anytime :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
  • giniaginia
    7 years ago
    love it....darkened
  • PRO
    Studio Z
    7 years ago
    Nice parquet floors!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago
    you could darken it (per Giniaginia), add some dramatic color on the walls to balance it... then get a gorgeous area rug.
  • anamparo
    7 years ago
    stain that parquet almost to an ebony, and then if you do not like it still then change it, but parquet is almost like an antique, you do not find them anymore except in older homes from the 70's.
  • anne dee
    7 years ago
    a change could be the stain and the finish as seen in this pic(this style of floor is beautiful)
    Cherry Creek · More Info
  • indianpatti
    7 years ago
    I don't like the orangeish color, but I think the floor would look nice in a darker shade.
  • anthip
    7 years ago
    I agree with others. Stain it very dark or if you want a really modern finish lighten it up. Whatever you do, please don't rip it out. It looks like it's very well laid and beautiful wood. I'm sure you could turn it into something you like with a massive rug on the top.
  • Keitha
    7 years ago
    The cherry creek photo that Anne dee posted is so beautiful and its actually very close to the color that you have now. I think adding rugs and furniture will make a BIG difference .... That's just my opinion???
  • anne dee
    7 years ago
    The floor seems to be heavily varnished and that why it has that lack lustre appeal.
    The varnish reminds you of the ubiquitous square parquetry that was rampant in the 70's.
    Herringbone pattern is labour intensive and quite expensive .
    To do your floor today would be practically cost prohibitive. Unless there is something available pre made.
    Remove the varnish and stain in your preferred colour and top with a satin finish or whatever they are showing in the inspiration pic. I am not an expert on floor installation.
    But, please do not rip up the floors.
  • PRO
    BY DESIGN Builders
    7 years ago
    The color is not complementary to your design, however refinishing with a very pale light grey finish (like bleached driftwood) or a dark charcoal will more than help make you love those well-made floors. I would suggest a matte or satin finish and to stay away from a high sheen.
  • judianna20
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Floors are herring bone...fabulous. You need to paint your walls a strong color to accentuate them. I suggest an ocean blue.
    Hall Pass · More Info
  • ronny360
    7 years ago
    Hate is such a harsh word.

Mediterranean New Home · More Info

Ashbury Heights Residence 2 · More Info

Vin de Garde Wine Cellars Inc. (New York) · More Info

Traditional Homes · More Info

The Bradner Residence · More Info

Stairway · More Info

WWW.LUXURYSTYLE.ES - SPANISH STYLE DESIGN FLOORING,MEDITTERRANEAN STYLE DESIGN · More Info

Michael A. Menn · More Info

The home of Edwin · More Info
  • regina5697
    7 years ago
    No!!! Don't rip it up. I agree with others about potentially refinishing. This is definitely not parquet, it's gorgeous.
  • Karin Madgwick
    7 years ago
    If it is real timber then I would sand it back and use a antique white finish which would go with the greys that you like.
  • judianna20
    7 years ago
    I was just searching for some other pictures of a herring bone patterned flooring to try to persuade you not to rip it up. There are so many things that you can do to it to change the way it looks, from bleaching to just refinishing with a different glow. When we had our 1840 floors redone, they put two coats of a high shine on first and then a matte over top of those. The result was fabulous.

I bet when you investigate the cost of replacing the floors you will have second thoughts. Those you have are worth thousands of dollars.

Keep us posted.
  • lilirit
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments and pictures. After much discussion and browsing we've decided not to rip the parquet up but are instead going to refinish or bleach it to a lighter colour and add a large rug. There are actually 3 areas to redo - kitchen, dining and tv room - so its a big job but I'm now excited about what we can do with these areas. Thanks again - will repost when we're done!
  • anamparo
    7 years ago
    YEY!!!!!
  • nwduck
    7 years ago
    Must say I'm glad to hear your decision. Sometimes you need to leave pieces of the original soul of a house to make it really sing.
  • yonube
    7 years ago
    How interesting to hear other opinions.... I grew up in South America, and to me they look classy. I've seen them in beautiful homes so my association is different.
    When it comes to hardwood floors, the color can make it or break it for me. I don't care for orange floors.

They look like the are in great shape. I would refinish them in a different color. Now, if you "hate them" bite the bullet and replace them.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Mandie Beck Art
    7 years ago
    I guess really it comes down to what you can live with. I really don't like them. They seem too busy. But it may just be there are too many tones of color. Staining them a more uniform color either darker or lighter may improve the situation.
  • RosemaryR
    7 years ago
    Your floor is tres Parisian chic!
  • Catherine Giesige
    7 years ago
    I love it but if you don't that's what's important. I suggest you sand it back, give it a light stain with gray undertones and finish with at least three coats of matt finish polyurethane.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    7 years ago
    These floors are beautiful! Don't rip them up. Could you maybe ebonize them by having them stained a dark almost black-like shade? If you kept your walls white, and removed the carpeting from the stairs and replaced with matching stained steps and white risers (and perhaps a stair runner in a sophisticated pattern of your liking) your foyer would be Elle Decor ready :)
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    7 years ago
    Studio M & several other contributors are right on...
    We've been manufacturing plank & PARQUET flooring for quite some time...
    The "me too" import variety of plank flooring has been a contributing factor to why we're seeing a renewal in interest in our PARQET flooring... (not the old style "finger-block" stuff that was used in Macy's.)
    I'm referring to what I call the European Style parquets... one of which, herringbone is... as well as Chevron.
    The "cheapo" stuff has made plank floors, in general, look blasé. Same look... different day.

Do as you wish (obviously), but I'd listen to some of the Pro's here... you'd be setting fire to a lot of "value" by ripping that floor out... and would perhaps regret the decision after you discovered that value.
    I'm fond of Studio M's suggestion to "ebonize"... but I'm partial to an upper end look.
    There were a lot of other ideas offered that bear consideration as well...

However... as we all know... "beauty is in the eye..."
  • lilylaw
    7 years ago
    Your floors are so beautiful - I agree with Studio M above (and others) that you should try and stain them darker colour which will give you a very classic look (and hopefully diminish the pattern so you don't notice it as much). Good luck :)
  • leelee
    7 years ago
    That is a very expensive floor. Would be a shame to rip it up. It should work well with modern or traditional furnishings.

I do agree that sanding and staining with a sheer ebony stain might tone it down but I love it the way it is.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    6 years ago

@jfcwood...

This is a verrrryyy old thread. July of 2013

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

1.5 year old thread.

• lilirit
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A couple more comments on the thread prompted me to show what we did. For the parquet enthusiasts out there - IT SURVIVED!! We sanded it back and after many attempts with different color mixing by our wonderful, patient floor man (who will probably leave the city rather than see us again) we finally got it right. Very dark brown/black, but the grain still shows through. These photos taken on a dull day - when the sun is shining on it the grain shows up much more (so does the dust!) and it has a slightly reddish tinge to it. However, it's not so dark that it's a total pain to keep clean. Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad we didn't rush into ripping it out altogether.

• km kane
    6 years ago
    I agree that it's extremely distracting, and I'd hate it too. If money isn't a major issue, and you're going to live there for a while, I'd rip it out and go for what You want.

Otherwise, stain it a very dark color. But dark causes issues too. Dark floors pull the life out of a room, show every speck of dirt and dust, and, well, still have that herringbone pattern.
    lilirit thanked km kane
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    6 years ago

I'm so pleased for you. In fact, more and more of the design rags are showing herringbone parquet to be right on trend. I love what you did with it and glad you are happy with it.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Beautiful floor! Glad you decided to keep it and that you're happy with it now :-)

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    6 years ago

Definitely ebonize them if you hate the way it looks now. I think that the pattern is great, it's just the color that seems a bit dated. Black would look a lot more chic in your space!

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    6 years ago
    Please do not rip that out. It's worth $20 sq ft!!! Using a colored Rubio will Definately give it some pop!
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    6 years ago
    OLD THREAD!!!!
  • km kane
    6 years ago

for those of you who insist on posting "OLD THREAD", etc - HEY - the rest of us do get some value out of posting and hearing what the original poster (OP) has to say. On this one, we got a couple photos of the end result. Some times it takes a home owner a while to decide what to do. Thank you to lilirit for letting us know the final decision.

• spatialthinking
    6 years ago
    I think a lot of what could be bothering you with the floors is what looks like a very glossy protective finish. With the relatively matte walls, it's going to bring attention to the floors.

Good call on keeping the floors, they're beautiful. Consider a less shiny, more matte finish when you refinish.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    6 years ago

@kmkane...

The "old thread" comments, at least from ME... aren't for any other reason than letting some contributors know, that the advice they might believe they are giving, may be moot.

I know that when I 1st became involved on Houzz, I was glad when someone indicated that I may be addressing a question which had probably been answered months (if not years) ago.

Helped me "learn" to check the original posting date before blathering on about an issue someone was no longer interested in.