harmonyosborne

Kitchen / Laundry - best layout for both to have everything we want?

harmonyosborne
4 years ago

We’ve been working on floor plans for our new 2 storey home for quite a while and have finally got the full drawn plans! We’re a family of 5 (3 young kids, <8yrs) and we absolutely love to entertain... so we intend for the kitchen/living/meals/alfresco area to be the heart of the home, overlooking the pool and backyard where our kids play all day. I’m also very practical about the need to have sufficient space in the laundry to manage the washing (& soaking), folding, storage of kids clothes (before they’re eventually distributed to bedrooms upstairs - by the kids I hope!), and all cleaning apparatuses and products, etc.

Problem? We’re at the maximum size we can go (house size) and in trying to give the laundry more space the kitchen has ended up a bit awkward where I’m worried the layout is not quite right and there’s not enough under or over bench cupboards. We’ve compromised on both kitchen and laundry space and now neither is quite right. And somewhere along the line we removed the 2nd WC accessible through the laundry for both guests and pool dwellers - and I feel like we might regret that?!

Some of our essentials:

• big, flat, open plan living/kitchen that is flat with the alfresco and backyard.
  • 3m kitchen island bench
  • Double fridge, plumbed
  • 2 x 600mm wall ovens
  • 2-3 under bench bin draws
  • Butlers pantry - to hold messy dishes area, 2nd dishwasher, appliances (including microwave) and pantry function
  • Laundry chute
  • ‘Extra’ laundry storage

Any suggestions?

Comments (22)