suetheron_london

Encaustic tiles - traditional cement - durability for bathroom floor

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi there - I'm referring to 'encaustic' in the sense of cement tiles with a pigmented cement layer over the top. I'm thinking of using a very simple plain encaustic tile for the bathroom floor in my 1927 cottage, with large areas of plain colour. For example: https://tilecloud.com.au/products/bondi-encaustic-tile-pink?_pos=7&_sid=3ac41018c&_ss=r . I love the matt look and the traditional feeling.

My question is in regards to spotting and staining of these tiles over time, and how regularly will I need to apply the sealer? Apart from cost, I really don't want to install a high-maintenance item. If anyone has first-hand experience of installing and using cement-encaustic tiles in a bathroom, please let me know how your experience has been, thank you

I've seen a number of threads here which seem to confuse traditional 'encuastic' with 'encaustic look' - understandable as the tiling shops are widely using 'encaustic look' to cover glazed tiles with traditional patterns on them - ie nothing to do with traditional encaustic materials.

Comments (2)