skrama1975

Are w.i.r. and w.i.l. a waste of space?

Moo M
4 years ago

Hi Houzz Community,
We are currently preparing to kdr and build our forever home for our family of 5. Wondering if w.i.r. and w.i.l. are a waste of space and normal cupboards/wardrobes are better. I love w.i.r. for bedrooms 2-4 but are they wasting space?
Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• Moo M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you dreamer - appreciate your response.

• Kate
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I agree with dreamer, but I’m wondering if my 17 yo boy had a wir would the clothes dropped on the floor between his wardrobe and bed be dropped out of site in the wir. Maybe it would be better if the drop zone was not in site from the hallway. (He has a washing hamper there -typically empty). Other drop zone is bathroom floor so perhaps wir would make no diff.
  • Sara Graham
    4 years ago

They can be a waste of space. Sometimes you see house plans where they have incorporated wir and end up with less storage then they would have had with built in robes. If you’re building a compact home they might not be the best choice. If you have the space and budget for a larger home and they are well designed then they can be worthwhile.

• Moo M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your input Kate and genkil.

Hmmm my 14 year old loves the floor both as a wardrobe and a laundry hamper - not sure if having a wir robe will be better or worse as I won't see it....

• Sara Graham
    4 years ago

Moo, My 14 and 17 year old are the same.