ebony_hl

70s Brick Facade Improvement

Ebony HL
4 years ago

Hi All,

I’m currently looking to sell my house which is located 5km from Melbourne’s CBD in a trendy suburb which is dominated by character homes... making mine look even uglier than it is.

It’s connected to two other homes, so I’m not interested in rendering or painting the entire front, but was pondering painting the timber trims and exposing the exterior door and painting it red.

Any ideas/feedback would be welcome. Additionally, if anyone knows of any apps that help you play with ideas/colours I’d love to hear of them!

Many thanks

Comments (13)

• me me
    4 years ago

The trims look pretty good, I would leave them as they are. I agree painting the front door a bright clour would be good. Also paint the handrail the same colour as the trims, and add pots of bright annuals, possibly also put some in garden at sale time.

• bigreader
    4 years ago

The trims look fine. Can the log fence be removed? Some pots to bring added greenery would add to the facade.

• Ebony HL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s an updated pic of the facade that’s more recent - the initial pic was from the initial real estate campaign and thus had filters added

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago

The trim colour is great. Firstly a good power wash will freshen the brickwork and driveway. Agee with painting the fence posts dividing driveways.
    To not over do the black/charcoal you could consider a grey similar to the picture below. Are you able to paint the patio? This could help brighten also and stick with the lighter grey for it too.
    Would love to see what you end up doing.

• Kate
    4 years ago

I would definitely go a light bright colour as it is more welcoming, Along with some bright flowers. Look at flowers in season for your sale and take queue from those for the door, window and gutter colour. Door should be the brightest. Good luck. Post the final pic

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

After a good pressure wash of bricks and driveway, repaint trims , window frame in a dark charcoal, weed and mulch garden bed , using a stone mulch to suppress weeds, add structural plants under the birches, relocate bins to back,use decomposed granite in front of garden beds and continuing on to path to side of house, add some gorgeous heavy pots , on verandah with lush plants, you could match your door to the trims for a very stylish look or choose a bright colour that you love.

• JE C
    4 years ago

Looks great Ebony

• User
    4 years ago

I liked most of the suggestions , especially me me's , and was going to add a couple of my observations , then I got to the 'after' photo , and looked again ! Just my opinion , but there's no way I would have changed the brick colour -- not only does it look so fake , but your's is 1 unit out of 3 , which makes it look doubly fake IMO . And if it was charcoal , or off-white , it would still look jarring , but a dark blue ? Oh well . . . . . . .

The red door is a great idea ( on its own ! ) -- as me me said , I would have left the trim charcoal , done the railing in the same , and the fence uprights ( posts ) the same . The initial photo looked like the fence palings were unpainted -- the latter they look painted , which is good -- with dark uprights , I'd say it would have all tied in . With brown uprights , blue bricks , natural railing , red door , white trim and a green bike ( yes , I know it can be moved ! ) it looks more like a kindergarten than a house IMO .

• Ebony HL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Pottsy99, thanks for your feedback. Perhaps your observations are warranted and relevant where you live, however where this particular home is located (in an edgy suburb, close to the city in Melbourne), this sort of transformation works. The area is known for character homes, so if one doesn’t possess one of those (such as in my case), the home has to stand out for a different reason. When you take into account the demographic that are attracted to the suburb, this seemed to be the best option.
    Fortunately for me, the market completely disagreed with your point of view and loved it!
    Thanks for your feedback though.

• User
    4 years ago

Yeah , I'm in New Zealand , and we are strange -- we like rugby , for example haha .

• Ebony HL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pottsy99 - apparently Aussies love rugby... we’re just not very good at it! Lol

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago

I'm surprised you were allowed to touch the facade at all given it's attached to other homes. I would have though some kind of covenant would have restricted that. Glad the market liked it, I think the original brick though was pretty nice.