andrewjason1

Bath and whether to put a niche, nib wall, lip around it

andrewjason1
4 years ago

The space we have is 1830 with 1150 of wall at one end and 1028 of wall before the window at the other.

If we install the bath

which will probably be 1700L and probably 750w and 400h.

as it was previously in this 1830 space it ends up like the below

with a flat lip at the end for placing shampoo etc.

A

I was thinking of having the above lip at the 1150 end (see main plan) and then at the window end which is a double cavity wall having a niche as below

but further along that 2590 wall where the shower is, there will also be a similar niche cut into the double cavity brick wall, maybe two of them on the same wall will look messy?

B

using that 130mm space to build a nib wall up at the 1150 end of the bath, not sure how high, allowing space on top of the nib wall to place things AS well as having a niche inside the nib for items?

C

keeping the flat lip at the 1150 end but building a 2nd brick 130mm wall along the side of the bath to have a niche nearly all the way along the 1830 long wall?

Comments (8)

• andrewjason1
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Kate and others

Full Floor Plan(as it currently stands) below

You are right about the towel rail at the end of the bath idea.

I think it best to leave the flat 130mm ledge at the end of the bath , the end being the window wall as we can place a 750mm towel rail as you say. Therefore no niche at the end of the bath.

However Option C above could still work? as its talking about another wall being put up along the 1830mm dimension, and a side niche (not an end niche)

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Is the towel rail across the window? shower door swings the wrong way to make it work

• andrewjason1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

no the towel rail will go above the 130mm flat ledge at the end of the bath itself. Bath being 750w.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Thanks AJ. The toilet roll holder won’t be reachable when sitting on loo if on wall behind. Get a sturdy toilet brush holder with a stick and sit it on that in this design.
    Can the door to the bed opp be moved to the left?

andrewjason1 thanked Kate
  • andrewjason1
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Kate, good point re toilet roll holder. I wonder then if i should have a half height nib wall

sort of like the above, except there will not be a vanity hard up against it just a space of 300 and then the toilet. Then the holder can go onto the brickwork.

If I keep the wall half height its just a decision of whether to bring it out the full 1000mm or just 350mm or something and then back to glass like the above.

below is the half height nib wall at full shower glass length

• robarillo
    2 years ago

Au nib wall in shower allows for toilet roll holder, shower storage instead of niche AND a better view from the shower. Like it.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Old post