webuser_523629353

An absolute shoe string budget renovation

So this renovation was very much unlike any renovation I did, in the sense that it was a full house renovation that costed under 10K.

Yet, it was very much a transformation with long term occupancy potential.

Please do feel free to let me know if there was something I could have done differently:

Comments (2)

• User
    4 years ago

I love your ideas , and the concept -- I have done several similar cheapee renovations . Some people give me grief about being budget , but I like the challenge .

So maybe this will grate a bit , but the only area inside I would have done differently is the bathroom -- I saw at the end your budget there was $500 -- I would have gone a bit more lux and upmarket and spent $2K , and gotten it to a similar standard as the kitchen .

The outside is brilliant -- clean and tidy and imaginative .

The only 2 comments I have regarding the outside is firstly -- changing from charcoal to grey paint at the door . I personally wouldn't have ( I would have stayed charcoal right around ) , but if I 'had to' ( to save a divorce haha ) I wouldn't have made the change over at that veranda wall -- it makes the wall look 'tacked on' IMO .

And the other observation / suggestion -- that front concrete wall thing at the front of the section looks a different white to the house 'base' -- I'd repaint to be an exact match , BUT also add ( probably wooden ) uprights around 250mm high , and do a 150 x 50mm horizontal 'front mounted rail' along the length , and paint this rail and posts/uprights in the charcoal -- I love the rest , but that very front of the section seems a bit flat in comparison to the house and the new gardens .

• Property Technical
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the thoughts. Around the door area we had a few thoughts, but in the end went with the colour selections as you see. Thing is, we only had two shade of grey from the other reno. The footing of the building is same colour as the retention wall, as we did not have another paint to go there. So what you see in its entirety is the light and dark grey. As with any project, we went over on the budget that we thought we would manage under. And the reason for being so tight on budget is that this house was originally intended to be knocked down, and at the time we did not know which way it was going to go. And yes, eventually it did get knocked down to make room for a master piece. But that is another story, that I'll cover in another video. That was the biggest house we ever made, and probably will ever make (for flipping).