webuser_821923662

Renovation Dilema

Kira Simehty
4 years ago

Hi guys

We are looking at buying this house as it ticks a lot of the boxes for us however my main concern is the fact that the bedrooms are tiny and there is no second bathroom.

We need to fit a king bed in the master bedroom, 2 kids beds in the second and at least a double bed in the third...plus some extra office space.

The home is in its original condition so it will also need a full kitchen reno (might be able to use most of the existing cupboards as the are great inside), existing bathroom reno, change the floor in the whole house (happy with floating floorboards) and add a ensuite(small) on top of any bedroom reconfiguration.

Can I pick the brains of all of you creative people to help us in deciding what is the best way increase bedrooms size plus all the above changes in a 100K budget? Am I dreaming? House is in Sydney.

From my not so creative mind, I was thinking to knock down the wall between the two bedrooms on the right and create a master bedroom with ensuite and walk-in wardrobe, use the front bedroom on the left for guests and office (we have family from overseas visiting all the time so its essential), renovate the bathroom without moving things around and add another bedroom where the dining room is and perhaps move the laundry either next to existing bathroom or kitchen.

Then knock down the wall between living area/kitchen/Laundry to make open plan - if the budget allows then extend out by a little bit to regain space lost in the dining room.

Very important to note that the back of the house is north facing and I want to maximise sunlight as much as possible.

Ideas please.... :)

Comments (5)

• Kira Simehty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

BTW this is a double brick house so I guess we need to be very careful with knocking down walls as it would not be as easy as lightweight walls I am assuming!)....Also not sure which ones would be weight-bearing

• kbodman14
    4 years ago

For $100k you may be too ambitious on changing the existing structure. You may get new flooring, new kitchen cupboards and reconfigured the existing lounge room into a master (for that bigger space) with a small en-suite. But you will loose your dining room. I would be looking at a 10 year plan. Draft up what you want and stage manage, it will all depend on family needs. If you are changing room configurations in a brick house, you add big dollars. You need precise information eg engineering report on load bearing and structural integrity. It may be worthwhile thinking on an extension to the rear to gain a master suite. Best of luck.

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

unable to read the dimensions on the plan can you please post again in smaller sections so we can read all the writing and rather than spending money on demolition and rebuild it can often be more cost effective to add an extension but how do you plan to use the garage studio and what are the buildings in backyard made out of..ie floors walls and roofs?

Kira Simehty thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

I am sorry to say that you are dreaming for all of those changes for $100K. With so many changes needed I would argue that in fact it doesn't tick enough boxes. You may be better off putting your $100K renovation budget into a better house that meets your accommodation requirements that doesn't need renovating.

Best of luck with your real estate search,

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

Dreaming. $250K+ min if considering extending and reconfiguring spaces. $100K a relatively light internal only cosmetic makeover.