suetheron_london

The Block - are women really just shoppers?

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago

OK. Im over my head in renovations at the moment, so watching the Block is junk food. However, Im appalled at how incompetant the women seem to be around working on site (eg using hammers with two hands!!!!) and how gender-diversive the roles are - the men do the site work, and the women do the shopping/styling. Anyone else notice an imbalance here? Does it reflect the status quo of Australian society??

Comments (10)

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    4 years ago

Thinking it the other way, I think the men are hopeless in styling. Just try role reverse it and see how the score nosedive

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

A lot of the differences are not cultural but genetic with a fair bit of crossover .

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Is the block a renovation show????? I thought it was just people getting there five minutes of fame and a personality contest.
    The one that argues the most, gets the most air time.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

haha Ok Louise thats so funny but true, I have been so disappointed with the current Block, why don't they just get it that even though we are the "pretty ones" we can do it all, can't say that works for some men though. It does get to me when most of the design fitout is using what you see in Kmart, target windows. I guess that's why I'am enjoying the Boys so much, they are eclectic and use their own design skills.

Dreamer I think you meant the one who cries that most in the current show.!!

Cmon start teaching us all stuff and do away with the trashy Big Brother kind of shows.

• Souzette Lovell
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

well it's funny how the franchise has evolved over the last 10 years.

As OKL says, it started as renovating and making do with a tight budget, and has evolved to product placement, sponsorship, and ridiculous amounts of money spent on "styling" the presentation, with high marks for glamour at the expense of good actual work.

This trajectory pretty much matches the Australian building boom over the last 10 years. It's become about looks over substance: ostentatious styling to justify highly inflated property prices..........

OKL - my world too, women do everything a man can do. I have to hire muscles, but I know how a hammer works!

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

my only complaint about current womens' roles is, despite spending all day on the jack hammer, i still have to dust off and find food for everyone but my adult sons were encouraged to do everything and now for them it's "what's for dinner dad?" although education has allowed them the earning capacity to pay others to do the heavy work and my daughter prefers the heavy work to decorating

• JE C
    4 years ago

Well said OkL

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

If my wife and I went on it, she would project manage and I would do the styling and shopping....

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

nobody in their right mind would approach a building project the way they do it on the block.....it's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less