tangerinetoes

What would you do with this 18 sqm front garden (morning sun)?

Tangerine Toes
4 years ago

We've recently shifted into a re-developed 1980s home. This front garden has been stripped of former shrubs and trees and re-planted.

There is nice topsoil for about and 3-5cm, then it's very wet, clay-like and difficult to dig.

There are a lot of notorious weeds including clover, buttercup and two types of ivy.

The jasmine (creeper in the centre) is going because we suffer hay fever. I'm considering an evergreen clematis in it's place.

I'm concerned that some of these shrubs will grow much too big for the spot. I'm not really fond of some of the low growing ones either. And my biggest concern is the soil...

So, BIGgest question number one: should I remove all of these plants and treat the soil? It needs a good rotary hoe, compost dug in, covered with weedmat for a season in an effort to kill off the weeds... etc etc

I could pot the shrubs and either keep them for replanting when the garden is ready, or sell them. I'd like to include some sort of feature (stone item?) and a pretty small ornamental like a japanese maple or maybe crab apple. Maybe some sort of rockery, or being part shady could include some woodland plants instead.. Or even a short meandering path as the garden is quite wide (and my 4yo loves to run through it of course...) I guess what I do with it the options are endless.

Probably worth noting that this garden is alongside our front path and front entranceway.

But is it worth ripping out those shrubs and starting over with the soil, or do I leave the soil be and simply re-arrange what is there?

Thanks for your help!

Comment