houston334

Plans to try and meet some 'not-so-easy' criteria

houston334
4 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've recently started piecing together some plans for a house concept I've been thinking about. This idea has some not-so-easy-to-achieve lighting criteria (for southern hemisphere).

• All bedrooms, bathroom and ensuite, both living spaces, kitchen, dining, laundry and alfresco all get morning sunlight
  • At minimum, both living spaces, kitchen, master and ensuite, and alfresco all experience (north) winter sunlight
  • Minimised west exposure

This is what I've come up with so far:

What's abundantly clear from these patched-together-plans is that I'm no professional plan-drawer! I'm also a bit stuck with some things, like where to put the dining area. Therefore I wanted to ask if anyone knows of plans similar to this, would you please share to help with inspiration? Also, any ideas or feedback is welcome :-)

With many thanks

Comments (17)

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Does this mean, by your description, that the corner of rumpus is the east facing part of home. Can you please place north south east west on your plans, just to clarify. What is the size/shape of your block of land. Are there any views? If the measurements are correct, there is enough room in your family room (great room), for dining as well. It appears that you have three study areas. Is this correct? Always better to have the laundry on the outside wall for ventilation. North is best for alfresco, usually with no roofing or able to retract roofing to let the lower northern sun in, in winter.

houston334 thanked dreamer
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

going by description the following should be correct

houston334 thanked siriuskey
  • Related Discussions

wooden walls ?what flooring

Q

Comments (10)
    I have just taken a couple more pictures (excuse the untidy house) from the stairs. As you can see it's an open plan area that isn't that big but very high ceilings also in wood (Macrocarpa) with dark wooden beams. The house is surrounded by bush so quite a dark house. I initially considered a darker wood similar to the beams but not sure if that will make the house appear smaller / darker...I'm really not sure what to do!?!?!? Thanks
    ...See More

Small Media/sitting Room

Q

Comments (24)
    Oh so cool you noticed that we're trying to achieve a french country/industrial look or did we write that somewhere? I've attached some other photos of a bedroom and the foyer (of those we've taken so far), but are absolutely open to suggestions on a "beachy" feel as well or instead of. Although because its a beach house we don't want to go over board on expense and hence keeping what we already have, and just adding personality to it, if you get what we mean. Kingsize Black upholstered headboard to come in that bedroom.
    ...See More

Kitchen redesign ideas needed

Q

Comments (812)
    This made me laugh: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/09/seagull-turns-orange-after-falling-into-vat-of-chicken-tikka-masala I couldn't copy the picture, but it's hilarious.
    ...See More

You know you want to have a play....

Q

Comments (51)
    A very simple layout keeping the floor space within the kitchen, the WIP takes up a lot of space with not much gain, The broom cupboard could be moved to the Laundry/entrance, narrow. If the wall has been bumped out to the eaves on the deck side giving an extra 300 depth to the kitchen you could make the island 2700 x 1200 and all drawers. The wall of narrow pantry will hold all pantry needs and more, no deep cupboards to dig into. cheers
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Are you determined to do this yourself or are you open to seeking professional advice?

An experienced design professional will take your brief for morning sun exposure in context with your overarching space requirements and other objectives to produce a balanced design solution for you.

The right professional will use 3D modelling software to explore how the sun is interacting with the building throughout the year. The sun rises and sets at a slightly different position every day as the seasons progress. The latitude of the site also affects the design. A good solution for Tasmania might not be so good in Queensland for example. An off the shelf plan is therefore a bit of a lucky dip.

Care needs to be taken with east and west orientations to avoid excessive heat gain in summer. Fine tuning for optimal performance will be a complex task if you don't have access to the right tools and experience.

Houston, you may need to recruit an expert to assist with mission control? Happy to talk if you want to contact me.

houston334 thanked User
  • houston334
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks siriuskey for adding the aspects, that's exactly right.

• houston334
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi dreamer, thanks for your interest and questions. We don't yet have a block. The idea (dream really) is to design what would be the ideal house for our circumstances, and then find a block to suit. The house is a bit on the too-large side right now. I thought once I had a good idea where everything went, I would try to trim it down a bit. Regarding a view, it's definitely very high on the wish list. For this house north-east would probably be the ideal outlook? I would say there is one study, by the front entrance, and a study nook in the hall coming off the south-east bedrooms. On the other side of the study nook wall, between the garage and front entrance, is currently a empty space which has lots of options. One idea I've been thinking about would be to use this space as a workshop with lots of storage. Perhaps the laundry could sit between the ensuite and kitchen? Only problem is that it looks a bit silly with the master bedroom sticking out so far. I might try and make this more compact somehow, but you get the idea.

I like the idea of a roof over the alfresco, so perhaps a pitched roof could help balance winter sun and summer shade? This pitch could carry through into the great room which could look really great.

• houston334
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks John for the offer of support. I'm really enjoying this process and half the fun has been looking through other plans for rooms to use. That said, I'll note your offer for later.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

using your basic ideas this variation is based on simple rectangles that can be rotated towards any views and sun angles but i suggest that final details, like the extra angles, should relate to the location, climate and budget, keeping in mind that an L shaped building like this will need a space at least 30m x 30m plus appropriate setbacks and orientation

houston334 thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I certainly understand what you mean by " I'm really enjoying this process and half the fun has been looking through other plans for rooms to use." Designing is great fun.

You also said, " We don't yet have a block. The idea (dream really) is to design what would be the ideal house for our circumstances, and then find a block to suit." It is great that you are bolstering your dreams by collecting ideas and assembling possible layouts. But when you say you intend to find a block to suit your dream I think you may have the cart before the horse. The site context, orientation, slope, views/outlook, micro-climate, vegetation, access and services all inform the building design. You can fit the house to the block much more easily than fitting the block to the house.

By all means continue your process of exploring possibilities and collecting ideas, but please just treat it as an exercise in better understanding your dream.

In college we were told that the first design concept we came up with should be put in the drawer and not looked at until a second, third or more concepts had followed. Only then were we to take out the first concept and review it. If it trumped the later efforts, then great, we knew we had the best solution. In my experience the first concept never trumped later efforts.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Try all living on north side. All bedrooms on south. Laundry on west as that is the hottest space and least used room in afternoon. Bedrooms connected by a hallway enclosing bedroom doors and bathroom from living. Your kitchen would be cheaper and more functional if walls at right angles. You need to factor in linen cupboards and other storage needs. Then make sure you do some furniture layouts to check room sizes.
    You will need a very wide block for your layout.

houston334 thanked Kate
  • Kate
    4 years ago

You may also want to focus on individual rooms rather than the whole house. What is your ideal master, kitchen living etc.

houston334 thanked Kate
  • ddarroch
    4 years ago

As Kate says, orientate the home to the north. It's the best source by far. One you get to NW our NE it's difficult to shade in summer.

In you example it looks like the master bed faces NW, yuck!

Start with a rectangular plan, long sides for to the N & S, for abundant winter sun. Short sides to the E & W, to minimise summer sun. E aspect is a nice aspect for the kitchen.

• C P
    4 years ago

I'm very confused by this desire to have a plan first without a block selected. I'd find a block which allows good Northerly access towards rear and think about where driveway is allowed. There are a myriad of potential plans once you have that sorted (assuming block is level).

• swizzles95
    4 years ago

We’ve tried designing a plan before the site - not bad plan either (though a little architect’s magic went a long way to improving it). Spent months thinking about it - what we needed and wanted etc. - only to discover that the only sites we could find even close-ish to our desired area that we could afford were badly sloping, triangular and faced south. Wiped out everything back to the drawing board - and we spent so long trying to make it work we ended up having to buy a pre-built property instead.

Plan + site = :-O
    Site + plan = :-)
    Site + plan + architectural fairy dust = :-D

• houston334
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks swizzles95, it's really helpful to hear others experiences. Would you consider your original approach again if you we're planning on building your initial design on a property of a couple of acres (a scenario potentially alleviating orientation and block size/angle restrictions)?

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

Regardless of size, whether it's an acreage allotment or a tight site, building design must respond to and best be directly derived from the site and context. Different sites will have different issues. Yes, smaller sites will have more constraint on the dimensions. But the limits don't necessarily get easier or minimised on acreages. Rather, they will have different natured restrictions and limits, possibly to do with bushfire and/or vegetation controls. Acreages also more likely to have views and prevailing weather to respond to, as well as generally higher construction costs and general infrastructure establishment involved.

Establish the "where" first, and only then can you begin to work through the "what" it will be. Of course, before all of that, you best have a good idea about "how much" you can afford, in terms of both $$$ and timeframe

Enjoy the process! PD :)

• swizzles95
    4 years ago

Hey Houston334 waving hand emoji No, not really - there are still too many factors that can dramatically change the character and cost of the design that will always be tied to the landscape. E.g.:

• Neighbours: are they visible? Nosy? Loud? Exist at all?
    • View: good? Bad? Great in one direction but only from an upper storey?
    • Orientation: Even on a dead flat acreage lots of factors affect this, whether to build a courtyard house to hide from the road/neighbours or really wide eaves to protect from beating sun — and any slope at all instantly complicates things
    • Groundworks: Massive part of any cost, but goes up exponentially if the site is hard (but can make for spectacular architecture if it responds well - Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwaters is my favourite example)
    • Local landscape: desert? Woodland? Farmland? Good soil here but not there? (This (should) impact both aesthetic and cost factors)
    • etc.

... but most of all, you may find the perfect site for location, view, size and cost only to discover that you have to go back to the drawing board ‘cos your plan just don’t fit.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE playing around with designs: just don’t get too attached to them. Think of them as brainstorming sessions to find out what kind of requirements you have and styles you like, not as a fait accompli.

Have fun!