lyn_mallett

Ugly verandah that needs a budget fix

Lyn
4 years ago

This is my ugly verandah which I desperately want to update! I've already decided to soften the garden bed by putting in wider steps and curved beds with maybe a small pond. One problem is the toilet and bathroom windows which are about halfway so placing chairs, tables etc is tricky due to the privacy of those two rooms. I hate the flat roof but the expense to replace is beyond the budget. it also has the added problem of becoming a wind tunnel even with a slight breeze. I have thought of dividing it but don't want to enclose it too much as this is a rural house and the outlook would be ruined. The ground slopes up to the back lawn so this also adds to the problem!

Comments (13)

• oklouise
    4 years ago

do you find that it gets too hot or cold and what about insects?..one way that we improved a similar outdoor area, without spoiling the view, was to enclose the space in netting and old recovered hinged screen doors..we used black horticultural shade cloth stretched and stapled to timber frames (like homemade big fly screens) screwed to timber or steel posts and trim around floor wall and ceilings...the screens made the space cooler in hot weather, modified winds, made the space warmer in winter, kept out flies, mozzies, snakes, frogs and lizards and was a great safe outdoor area for small kids and pets...surprisingly the black sarlon wasn't dark on the inside (just like looking out through average fly screens) but was a huge success for minimal cost and effort..nb the horticutural Sarlon is wider than the average supplies available and made it possible to have screens that are ceiling height (over 2.5m) without any joins.... and try some of the decorative screens availble at hardware to make a privacy screen on the outside of the bathroom and toilet windows ....and it looks like you might have drainage issues on the paving that needs to be pressure washed when we have some rain and reconsider the pond and think carefully about plants used for the garden as that might encourage bugs, frogs and snakes so minimal rocks to hide under and keep the plants nearest the house low growing ground covers with bigger plants and small shade trees further away

• Lyn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

great ideas! Thank you!

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

What a great space, all of the above, would love a few more photos from different angles, which includes the dogs

• empressct
    4 years ago

Yes, it's a great space ...good luck!

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

How lucky you are to have such a wonderful space, all ideas above are great, timber slats at the end of verandah would lessen the wind tunnel and give a lovely ambience to the area, you could add some lovely star jasmine to twine around poles, lots of lush potted plants , some comfy seating... a gorgeous space you could use all year round

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Love the look these steps would give going up to your back lawn, adds another dimension to the garden

• Aileen Murfitt
    4 years ago

Unsure if this would fit with the width of the area but we managed the privacy issues created by a toilet window opening onto the alfresco by building a cupboard which screens the window provides storage. It does make the room darker and we are debating solartube lighting.

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

consider Solar Skylights to brighten inside rooms (Illume or Arcol brands) available at big hardware stores, handyperson installation and no big hole in the roof or ceilings to risk leaks or interrupt insulation

• Kate
    4 years ago

Great you are making some improvements. I was going to suggest some screening in front of the two windows so cupboards work. With you steps widen as much as possible and then add a horizontal plank on top of the retaining wall you have to act as a long seat. This and the steps will give more informal seating and add some depth. Consider some tall plants at start of your wind tunnel to disperse the wind or angled slats

• Lyn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow. so many awesome ideas! Thank you everyone!

• Amye Grigg
    4 years ago

Bunnings have some really nice screens that could help. they give privacy but still allow air and light through.

• Souzette Lovell
    4 years ago

add a few proper skylights along, the ones there currently dont seem to add any light? Pools of light would help to lighten the very low ceiling effect. Love some of the ideas above..