webuser_970220165

Is our new modular an ugly monstrosity?

J L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi. Having big buyer's remorse. It all started with an unpleasant, delayed, rude and rushed delivery. One headrest is faulty and there are numerous issues with the fabric - fluffy gouged type pieces of the woven fabric poking out. We have to get a technician out to look at it and see if it will be replaced. On top of that, my boyfriend's brother is currently living with us and laughed at the couch saying it's gigantic and looks like a swimming pool. Now I feel very uncomfortable with the size and feel it looks bulky, silly, ugly, unstylish. I was wondering if others think it's a bad fit or ruins the room. We haven't yet bought cushions, throws, coffee table (thinking pale oak round medium sized type), artwork etc. The wall cabinet is not staying there, my boyfriend got it from a garage sale years ago, we figure we will get rid of it. The pic doesn't show it but there is room for a dining table behind the chaise. We got the sofa as it's comfortable, we lie down together and watch movies, plus we have a big family that stays a few times a year. It just didn't look as bulky in the showroom and it looks bulkier than in the pic, I think. Should I just get it fixed/parts replaced (store is responsible), or push for an (unlikely) refund? I haven't seen many other options that would work for us and this sofa was a cheap bargain. Or stress myself out trying to sell it and figure out what else to get (which would equal loss of money and way more expensive couches)? I am having quite bad anxiety over it. We had very small falling apart couches before. Should I suck it up and style around it? Or is it simply an ugly monstrosity?

Comments (6)

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Agree with me me, maybe add a neutral colour in a throw and cushions , a gorgeous coffee table, a textured rug to complete the picture, love your side table, I think your couch looks great.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

your boyfriend's brother needs to learn some manners as anyone who doesn't have their own couch to sit on shouldn't criticise yours..as usual Julie's gorgeous examples will help make a great looking couch feel more at home in your home..enjoy

• me me
    4 years ago

I don't think it looks bubbly at all.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Agree with oklouise and me me with their advice, your couch is lovely, maybe it’s not as sleek as the new modern ones but as you said they are so uncomfortable, you will be able to style it to achieve the looks in your photos then you just may have the best most comfortable couch in the street, it’s gorgeous, don’t let your brothers lack of design comments cloud your judgment.

• PRO
    MMAD Architecture
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Comfort is rule 1 of any couch so if you like the comfort that's all that matter. Also note that spaces filled with furniture can often make the room look bigger so oversized is fine. You just need to get a good balance. Once you get a rug, coffee table and maybe lamp or other accessories or indoor plants the sofa won't appear so large. Just remember to think about scale and proportion as these are important when pairing furniture. Compare a coffee table with open base on legs to a solid block for looks. The block type might disguise the scale of the couch. Some colour or warmer tones will also bring the space to life. Stick with your choice and dress the rest of it.... and forget what others think. If they're rude enough to comment so unkindly then make them sit on the floor