newbie483

Can't decide on Laminate or Engineered Timber Floorboards

newbie483
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was initially looking for a light oak type of engineered timber flooring for a new apartment which we will be living in, as I like the look and feel of real wood. I've been quoted around $100-$120/sqm supply and install including underlay.
I've always thought of laminate as cheap looking glossy plastic but the sample I was shown (https://www.iflooring.com.au/collections/elegance-eir/elegance-eir-dorset-cream/) looked and felt almost like real timber, quoted around $75/sqm supply install and underlay.
Now I am not sure which option to choose, as I've been told laminate is more durable. Is there any reason to choose engineered if the laminate alternative looks and feels almost the same?
Also, are the quoted prices reasonable?
More info:
- Sydney
- Split level apartment with ground and upper level
- Approx 70m2 of timber flooring required
- Not anticipating kids any time soon but possibly a cat or small dog in the next few years.

Comment (1)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Hi Newbie. That's such a good question. They both have their pro's and con's.

Laminate can be easier to maintain on a daily basis because it doesn't show scratches as easily (from furniture, pets etc) and it's really easy to wipe clean. BUT- because the top layer isn't actually a wood veneer and it's thinner than engineered boards- once it's worn you can't repair it. With engineered boards you can sand them back and re stain (how many times you can do this depends on the thickness of the board you buy- thicker the board the higher the cost. If you have furniture protectors under dining chairs, and ideally rugs in the room to create a finished look, you will reduce scratching greatly on engineered boards.

Engineered boards are nicer to walk on IMO, also warmer in winter. Laminate can sound hollow, even with an underlay. Laminate can also be slippery without a slip resistant layer.

Engineered boards are more expensive and much harder to lay. If it's affordable you won't regret engineered boards for long term repairability and/or re sale value. Like everything in interiors it all comes down to budget- and the laminates are getting much better these days. But they will never have the prestige of an engineered board to a future buyer if that's something that could be of concern down the track.

I'd recommend going to showrooms where you can see both options and walking on them- especially with bare feet.

Hope that helps :)

Fiona Jack

www.fionajackinteriors.com.au