houzzaupolls

POLL: How much do your interiors influence your mood?

HouzzAU Polls
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

With a continuing focus on wellness in interiors, through furniture, textiles and paint colours, and a rising demand for Biophilic design, it is evident that homeowners are having an emotional response to their home design.

We want to know how much your interiors influence your mood?

Does a dark room make you feel sad or does it embolden you? Are you more cheerful walking into room with yellow tones? Does clutter make you feel more stressed?

Vote how much your interiors influence your mood and tell us why in the comments!

Melinda Clarke Interiors | Paddington Terrace · More Info

Not at all
Slightly
Moderately
Very
Extremely

Comments (26)

• jmmac
    4 years ago

I don’t like clutter, but I also wouldn’t feel comfortable living in a minimalist environment. It wouldn’t feel like home. Colour can affect my mood, but also too much beige is boring. Although I do like some continuity in a the colours in a home.
    I am also affected by the placement of furniture. I don’t like what I call barriers and blockers.

• PRO
    S C Design
    4 years ago

Colour definitely affects my mood - if I want calm then the colour needs to offer that, but if I want to party then I can introduce colour to enhance the mood. Badly placed furniture or lack of functionality is frustrating but perfectly placed items can bring a smile.

• samson108
    4 years ago

I love natural light in my home. I also like it when the house is organized. Fresh flowers will always bring a smile to my face

• dina1202
    4 years ago

Colour, light, and clutter all have a tremendous effect on me.

I love neutral colours: grey, white, beige...black. Homes with anything other than light, neutral colours make me feel anxious and stressed. Too much colour clutters a space just as much as too many tangible objects.

A small, minimalist home — with zero clutter — with large, open, light-filled rooms, and large windows and doors that open to the natural environment is where I feel my best.

• debanger3
    4 years ago

Y

• PRO
    Catherine de Meur Interiors
    4 years ago

As a professional I see on so many occasions how our surroundings can have a profound influence on our daily lives including our emotional wellbeing.

• PRO
    Vibe Interior Design
    4 years ago

Not only just me and my mood. I can feel other people's mood and can tell whether if they are happy, sad or stressed depends on their house and each rooms.

4 years ago

Definitely clutter. It makes me anxious. Colour too but to a lesser degree. I have a grey feature wall in my lounge and it feels oppressive. Will change it soon.

• PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    4 years ago

I have helped many clients who have expressed that there is something wrong with their homes but havent been able to 'put a finger on it' so to speak! An assessment of the space will often reveal some factors that affect mood- often lack of natural light or the wrong colour tones or combinations. A few tweaks can make a massive difference.

• dafmaria
    4 years ago

So interesting the now fashionable greys made a few readers feel blue...

• pascoeyvonne
    4 years ago

Colour can definitely impact your life. Gloomy colours and too much clutter can impact your mood in a negative way, in the same way as a dull, cold and wet day. I've always loved warm colours in a house as well as wearing colourful clothing.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

It's not the colors I use in my home which affect me; it is the orientation of the house which does. I'm in U S and the light I get during the day comes from the east in the morning, so having my coffee I see the sunrise and then the sun moves around the back where the living/dining and kitchen are filled with light all day. Bedrooms are on the north, darker side.

I'm a big believer in taking the natural light into consideration before choosing any wall colors.

@ Roo, I took a peek at your idea books and the adorable antique Cape with the gardens you have saved...I walked by it yesterday in Provincetown...tip of Cape Cod. Lovely, quaint fishing town, and you would love it. Merry Christmas!

• olldroo
    4 years ago

HU - honestly I would not have thought colour could have so much impact. I have been in rooms that have definitely made me want to be there because of the colour, so I know it can make a difference, but not this much. After 5 months of living in that house, it was an effort to get out of bed each morning and I was even taking myself out to breakfast or lunch, I didn't even feel like eating in the house. I don't think it was helped by the baby nappy brown carpet that went with it either - that was so bad!! The difference when I moved into my new house was just incredible, unfortunately the blandness of the cream started to get to me but nothing like the grey.

Judy - I have to agree with you - light makes such a difference to the end result of a room but so many people just don't realise this, they see a lovely room on Houzz, decide that is what they want and then wonder why it doesn't look the same. North or South facing rooms particularly, seem to have the biggest impact on colour.

I'll have to check my ideabook out, it has been that long since I've used it. Been trying to email you some photos of the new house, I think of you often. I will get there!! Merry Christmas to you and yours if I don't get a chance.

• Abi Perryman
    4 years ago

Interiors have a huge effect on how I am feeling. It even depends on the styling choices made.

• nasmijati
    4 years ago

I agree with those of you who consider natural lighting through windows first.
    I like the orientation of a USA house the same way JudyG does, with a sunny kitchen and bathroom in the morning to wake up, and a sunny living room in the afternoon.
    My apartment has a required cream wall color. I have a very long living room/hallway wall and have added color by mounting a "museum" installation of original paintings hung along the wall so the bottom of most frames is 48 inches/four feet/1.3 metres high. Some years I switch the art from storage to the wall to fit the season. (There are artists in my family).

• doreenroseanne
    4 years ago

I live with a beautiful sea view which I love, but which presents its own set of challenges. When we moved in the interior was painted grey but on an overcast day, all I see out the window is grey - grey sky, grey sea and when I turned around there were grey walls as well. It was quite oppressive. We’ve repainted a lovely soft white which isn’t too dazzling on a bright day, but definitely lifts the gloom on a dull day. I’ve added punches of bright colour here and there and now I love my space (and my view in all weathers)

• debanger3
    4 years ago

• bachelorliving
    4 years ago

I love colour but need to change it often. That said I also love neutrals but hate greys. Natural light is a must and I hate clutter.

• Amanda Roberts
    4 years ago

Colour and light have a big impact on me. I love neutral with artwork, cushions, my books. It means it is very colourful. I have never been tidy though and there is always some clutter no matter how hard I try. I have a very peaceful environment and people comment on that when they enter. My view is a beautiful one of the sea so I am very fortunate about that. I have a lot of greenery around as well.

• Jennifer Bradley
    4 years ago

For me it's partly colour, then having my books and paintings around. I hate colours not to work together in a room, and can't relax until I've fixed it. And my favourite colour mixes are natural Australian colours (and even though I've always done this, recently I bought a lovely book called Using Australian Colour by Janne Faulkner and Harley Anstee.)

• trishathecook
    4 years ago

Colour, light and interesting things to look at, whether paintings, small collections, plants/fresh flowers make me feel comfortable. Also, I find myself uneasy when proportion or balance are out.

• HU-187759720
    4 years ago

Colour definitely affects how I feel in a room and I am currently going through a white stage.

I don't mind clutter as long as it is arranged. I like what I see to be pleasing to me so I tend to make vignettes. I am completely stressed when stuff is dumped any old where, so luckily these days I live alone

• Yvonne
    4 years ago

As others have mentioned, colour is important to me, as well as the amount and quality of the natural lighting and the orientation of the home. I dislike clutter and find that it has a depressive effect on me. I am also affected by ceiling height. I really dislike spending long periods of time in rooms with low/minimum height ceilings.

• Emme Eve
    3 years ago

Colour and light have a significant impact on our mood. According to the studies red colour, has the lowest impact on the brain and the most influential colors for our mind and emotions are blue and white.

As working with the professional interior designing company, Stiely Design, I noticed that colours play a significant role in everyone's life. Therefore you must notice which color affects your mood.

The main point here is the choice. So, find the perfect and balanced ambience that feels good to you.

• Kevin Anders
    3 years ago

Believe me, I had normal curtains for the last 3 years in my living room, I saw an ad for http://qualityblinds.com.au/product/roller-shutters/ and tried, believe me, it changed my whole mood. I feel FRESH I don't even know why!