lyndagoulden

How do I make the gas fire pleasing and arrange the furniture?

lyndagoulden
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Earlier in 2019, we retired into town and purchased a property for the location, not the house.

The house is an old Lockwood with a questionable floor plan and poor traffic flow throughout. We will embark on kitchen, en-suite and master bedroom improvements in 2020. I also intend to completely paint over the wood using Resene Triple Merino.

The single living space has a long barn-like appearance. It's a good sized space but the traffic flow makes it a difficult space to set up furniture etc.

In the meantime the old obsolete styled, gas space-heater decided to 'spit the dummy' and we are having to replace that ahead of schedule. This has presented a dilemma. Where to locate it in the lounge so that it will work with the improvements scheduled for next year. The new fire is much larger in the room than the old one.

I would really appreciate some thoughts on how to make my new gas fire more aesthetically pleasing.

Originally, [pic 1] it was thought it should be placed straight on to the room but that looks wrong as is evident from the photo. Also, fire regulations have squashed that idea, because the curtains and wooden beams are too close.

In Pic 2, the fireplace has been angled slightly, to overcome the regulations but the wooden posts prevented a nice 45 degree angle being achieved. The new angle now means that I have to reconsider how to rearrange the seating in the lounge for the traffic flow to work but more importantly, I'm left wondering, how do I add finish the fire? Do I build a false chimney and how do I work in all the new angles.

I'm usually able to come up with good ideas to overcome problems, but this one has left me a little stumped.

Pic 3 shows how I thought I might angle the couch.

Comment