hawkeyreno

Modern Farmhouse Exterior

hawkeyreno
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Hello!We are about to break ground on our (forever coming) reno! I'm quite clear in my vision for the house, but unsure that all of my decisions are the right ones.Here is some background on our reno-Country area in outskirts of SydneyOriginally 70s red brickHomes in the area older, cottagey, being updated, a few in the 'hamptons' style... (totally hate that term- anyone else annoyed by it?)My vision for this house is a play on the modern farmhouse style... we lived in Tx for a few years and Ioved the the homes built in this style.White clad, black windows with colonial bars, black trims, a southern cross style balustrade across the verandah, gooseneck barn lights, maybe a cute red or duck egg blue door- get the vision?So here lies the dilemma...I've selected Scyon Axon vertical clad in 400mm... for what I think will be the entirety of the whole house... builder Dad (also hero Dad) seems to think it's a bad choice, he likes horizontal clad, or if we must have vertical clad, it needs to have some horizontal clad features elsewhere. I know that some of these houses do mix the clads, but i like the horizontal... I'm pretty secure with my vision, but i value his eye and experience...I told him the best way to settle this is to let the good people of houzz have their say! Do you think it needs the mix?HahaTiA

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 months ago

I'm afraid to say that I think your Dad is right. I love the look of Scyon Axon but I think it has a slightly more contemporary feel and the vertical recesses are quite subtle. In your photo example the verticality to the gable element is provided by timber battens which are much thicker than the Scyon Axon recesses.

Your gable end has a strong vertical emphasis and the horizontal weatherboard will give it some counterbalance, a more classic look, and more interest with the horizontal shadows.

Mid Century Modern Addition · More Info

In this photo I used Scyon Axon and the vertical recesses are very subtle.

Your Dad probably prefers the weatherboard as it is easier to install than the Scyon Axon panels. Have you thought about the horizontal joint between the Scyon Axon panels for tall vertical walls, such as your gable? This joint has not been drawn in your elevation so here is a photo of how it should look:

As you can see the horizontal weatherboards are much more dramatic.

Best of luck with your considerations.

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

hawkeyreno thanked Dr Retro House Calls
    Best Answer
  • hawkeyreno
    Original Author
    6 months ago

• hawkeyreno
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Design inspiration

• bigreader
    6 months ago

Nearly all the white with black modern farmhouse styles in Pinterest are vertical. I think either way would be appealing. Found a mixed picture

hawkeyreno thanked bigreader
  • siriuskey
    6 months ago

refreshingly different

hawkeyreno thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 months ago

If you decide that you do want to go with the vertical emphasis I wouldn't use the Scyon Axon due to its subtlety of the vertical line. The detail in your photo is called "Board and batten". This photo shows board and batten detailing at various spacings, together with some horizontal weatherboards.

Cottage Addition - Exterior · More Info

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

hawkeyreno thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • hawkeyreno
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks Dr Retro for your response! I appreciate your time! You've given me much food for thought. Particularly in regards to how the board and battern differs from our clad... I can see how it might get lost in the big picture, because the groove isn't as prominent. What do you think about a Sycon Stria, vertically, splayed with a 20mm gap?

Also, in regards to adding the cladding in a different direction, where would your first thought be for this? I thought maybe in the recessed area where the larger single window is?

Thanks for talking design with me... hard to find someone who is in the know enough, or who cares enough
    To bounce ideas off!

• hawkeyreno
    Original Author
    6 months ago

As for the horizontal joint, i did think about it but i didnt look that much into it yet. The good thing about the Stria is that it comes in lengths of up to 4mts so hopefully we could get that joint down near floor level.