webuser_484312633

Garage to Dwelling

Stacey Byrne
4 years ago

Hi,

I would like to convert our existing garage and carport space to a second dwelling (2 bedroom+ toilet+kitchen). I am not sure if it can be called a granny flat.

We use our garage only for storage and believe if we convert it to rental space, it will benefit us in many ways. And ofcourse, I want to do it with proper consents, but we have a small budget for it.

I have checked with Auckland council and our house is situated in a mixed Housing Suburban Zone, so there are no restrictions for building this.

I need to get a bank loan to do this conversion. We bought the property this year, so the CV hasn't changed much.

All banks wants me to draw a plan for this conversion and have it evaluated it by them. If their evaluated value supports the loan+20% equity, then I will get the loan to proceed.

The cost of drawing the plan seems to be around 10K (based on my initial research) and this is a huge amount to take a risk.

I am really new to this world of construction/renovation. And any kind of guidance, advice or recommendations will help me heaps. Thanks

Comment