emma_corcoran60

What style of architecture is my house?

Emma Corcoran
6 months ago

Hi all,

My mother recently passed away and my siblings and I will be putting her house on the market. I was wondering what architectural period you think the house is. (Late Edwardian? Interwar?) And, any suggestions for revamping the front of the house?

We were thinking to paint it with a grey scheme, but incorporating the red, colorbond guttering. We were also thinking of tiling the verandah, maybe in a small diamond pattern, but not sure if this would be over investing.

(The buyer would probably renovate the back of the house, so we won’t do anything to that except clean up the backyard. But we thought it might be worth investing some money in the front).

• julie herbert
    6 months ago

Hi Emma,
    I think a grey colour scheme would work perfectly, I would pressure wash your porch and steps and it could blend with the house colour, leave beautiful weeping cherry as it makes a real statement, remove all plants from beneath it and use either a stone mulch in a soft grey ‘Oriental Spark’ is gorgeous, the more simple the more stylish, some new pots of lush plants, a new black setting would compliment the front and make it look inviting to buyers, so sorry to hear about your mum.

• Emma Corcoran
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Thanks Julie! Some great suggestions, especially about pressure washing the verandah. That might be a good low-cost option. If we chose a grey color scheme, do you think we could keep the red, colorbond guttering? Thanks so much for attaching all the photos, very helpful!

This is the type of tiling we were thinking of doing...but I am in two minds. I think it would make the front of the house look a lot better, but it is 16m square, so would cost around $1800, which might be too much to spend.

• julie herbert
    6 months ago

You could always leave the guttering till last and see if it blends in with the rest of the look, but I do think it will look great in the darker colour grey.

• julie herbert
    6 months ago

That tiling is lovely, but see how it comes up first by pressure washing the front , you may be happy with the look, another thought is you could always paint the verandah to save costs.

• kazzh
    6 months ago

The tile pattern looks lovely, but as you have noted maybe not cost effective, however after the pressure wash if you feels it needs more you could explore painting a pattern in the style of the tile. Agree that just removing the undergrowth and leaving the one larger tree would create a simple but interesting entry.