lango57

Laundry Splashback ideas please for difficult to match benchtop

lango57
4 years ago

We have recently renovated Laundry and toilet and I am happy with all. However I am struggling to decide on splash back for laundry. As can see from photo, the bench is quite busy so obvious tile choice is monochrome but I would love colour and something a bit fun. Has to look good though as guests tend to wash hands here after visiting toilet which is off laundry. I love the patterned tiles, but are they too much against bench? Could I use them sparingly with plain white? What do you think of sage colour? Should I stick to black hexagon with maybe white grout or vice versa or even combine black and white in a pattern? i have even contemplated using wall paper as would be easy to remove in future if tire of it!

Comments (22)

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

i love the idea of wallpaper that can be easily changed if/when you want a change..i wonder how a black and white stripe would feel with the benchtop?

Victorian Renovation and Design · More Info

lango57 thanked oklouise
  • julie herbert
    4 years ago

Even though I love your pattern tiles I think they would detract from your lovely bench top, try a beautiful handcrafted tile for a more stylish look , bring some gorgeous accessories in for your guests to wash their hands, sometimes the more subtle we are the better it looks

• C P
    4 years ago

I agree with Julie. All those patterned tiles look wrong against the busy benchtop. if you want interest go for texture in the tile but you really need a white tile with matching grout to stop it looking too dark.

lango57 thanked C P
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Would love to see more photos, a simple mirror splash back would be my choice it would make the laundry feel like a powder room for your guests

lango57 thanked siriuskey
  • bigreader
    4 years ago

Depending on the rest of your house, consider cladding. Texture and interest without competing with that benchtop.

lango57 thanked bigreader
  • Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

No pattern plain, plain plain. And I like the mirror idea too. But cleaning them might drive me nuts..

lango57 thanked Daphnemaria Sch
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

White tile.

Subway - perhaps bevelled edge?

Hexagon or square?

Definitely plain white with white grout for me.

lango57 thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • dreamer
    4 years ago

Agree with Julie. A plain coloured tile with a glazed finish. Bench top is too busy for anymore patterns.

lango57 thanked dreamer
  • Kate
    4 years ago

Another option might be to use your floor tile, or that colour in a glass tile, but I can’t see enough of floor to really say. Just not the patterns you-have. Let the bench star.

lango57 thanked Kate
  • dreamer
    4 years ago

If you really like the tiles you have shown in your photos, you could use them on a

wall in the toilet as a feature. But, definitely not in the laundry. The tiles and bench top are two different styles.

lango57 thanked dreamer
  • lango57
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and very helpful suggestions. thank you for taking the time to respond. I hadn't thought about a mirrored splash back which would be different, but like you said Daphnemaria, keeping it clean could be hard work!

We have also renovated our small main bathroom which is next to the laundry using the same bench top for continuity. The toilet is floor to ceiling all gloss white 300x600 tiles. The floor tiles have also been used through whole house and Kate may be interested to know that we carried them up one wall of bathroom. I guess I am looking for something less grey and white for laundry as can afford to be a bit adventurous there. Here are some before and after photos- what do you think?

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it,s not dirty, I think a plain mirror not smoky like the picture I posted. And Windex would do the job

But I think bigreader found your style with suggesting cladding

lango57 thanked siriuskey
  • dreamer
    4 years ago

You chose the white tile in bathroom and toilets because it looks wonderful against your bench top. I would keep that look in the laundry. You may ruin your look if you use other style of tiles.

lango57 thanked dreamer
  • how2girl
    4 years ago

What about a gloss white herringbone tile.

lango57 thanked how2girl
  • lango57
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Again. I hope I am placing this in the right place. We have finally finished the laundry splashback so I am wanting to show photos particularly to those that offered advice before. I can't believe 4 months have passed since then. Between personal issues and the Covid we had to put on hold for a while. Anyway, we settled on Pressed Tine in a simple pattern which we painted gloss black. My only regret is the white switches and power points (as we never thought would go black), but hope to change that soon. Hope you all love it as much as we do.

• how2girl
    3 years ago

You can take the switch covers off & spray them black - Rustoleum Canyon Black in Semi gloss finish would do the trick.

lango57 thanked how2girl
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

Clipsal have a range of power point covers in black available. Also, purchase a towel in the shades of your bench top, maybe the taupe colour, and lay over your washing machine, for it to blend in, and take the stickers off the appliances.

lango57 thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

lango57 thanked dreamer
  • C P
    3 years ago

Well done! looks good

lango57 thanked C P
  • Kate
    3 years ago

The pressed tin was an inspired choice

lango57 thanked Kate