webuser_338667422

Furniture placement ideas

Nutty Chocolate
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have a long and nature living dining space which is open to our kitchen. Our main entry door opens directly into this space. We have lots of Windows also. We are finding it hard to think about the layout that includes a living/tv watching space, dining area, entryway due to the narrowness of the space and the number of windows. Can you please suggest some ideas in regards to the layout which has these functionalities included. I have attached pictures for your reference. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (44)

• Kate
    4 years ago

Tv on front wall and couches at right angles to it facing each other.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hello,

How many people and what ages living in this neat little unit?

As long it is not six adults, the tv backing garage with couch facing front door and single chairs I think would work. Then dining table in centre of space with traffic able to work all around it. You need the wall for lounge room cause you walk into the middle of the area, but the dining table takes the centre so suits the walkway: entry, doors to garden, kitchen, access to bedrooms: it really needs traffic lights or a round about.. like a round table!

The huge red corner suit in the picture is not right: way too big, bold and lumpy for that space. Dinner would be cold by the time you track to the farther reaches of the room for the dining table!

Good luck and would love to see what you come up with!

Cheers Margot

• Related Discussions

Help! I am so stuck for furniture placement in lounge

Q

Comments (7)
    I would place the sofa facing the fireplace either with access to what's behind the draperies or not, and put the tv where the chair is--roughly. On the far end I'd arrange a small conversation/reading/activity area. IE:2 chairs, a table and a lamp or a small activity table with a hanging lamp. Of course, seeing the scale of your new furniture, once you receive it will help. I just hope you have selected comfortable furniture in a smaller scale than what you have.
    ...See More

TV and fireplace. Furniture layout suggestions please.

Q

Comments (3)
    Try the TV where the sofa is now and float the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace where you currently have the big chair. Perhaps the big chair can then go where the TV was for a quiet spot for one. Or even better, pull the loveseat off the wall and put the big chair to its left flanking the fireplace.
    ...See More

I need some ideas for my lounge layout

Q

Comments (4)
    Well the piece above the fireplace really overwhelms the space, and most specifically the fireplace. Is there another wall space anywhere that can showcase it? trying to use this piece in such a small area makes everything else lose its appeal, it has to fight to be seen. For sure move the sofa where it faces the fireplace, or set at an angle facing where you hv the TV set to be mounted. If you can, leave the chair in the same area, use the table the TV is sitting on as a coffee table for both. The way that makes the space work is the way you need it.
    ...See More

Help! Layout advice for lounge furniture

Q

Comments (1)
    How come you don't want to go with the two lounges in the room if it works out okay?
    ...See More
  • juliahocking
    4 years ago

Hi Nutty Chocolate

I think Margot has the right idea - swap the living and dining areas

Use the smaller area for individual armchairs and the TV - maybe bookshelves with lots of reading material too

Then use the area near the kitchen for meals - develop the habit of closing the laundry door!

Use the remaining space for a family space - sofa and storage for magazines, games, stereo - a 'chill out' zone

Create an entrance by placing a suitably-sized rug at the doorway, shelving on the wall beside the doorway (to drop keys etc) and a lovely big potted plant (rectangular trough may fit neatly) OUTSIDE the front door - make a statement

Let us know what you decide

• juliahocking
    4 years ago

Nutty Chocolate

some ideas -

2014 Parade Home - Lehi · More Info

obviously this is bigger than your situation, but you get an idea of my thinking!!

Moraga Residence · More Info

again, bigger than you can go but up off the floor gives impression of clear space

• dreamer
    4 years ago

By your photos you already have the dining near the kitchen and lounge in the garage side of room. (The other photos are obviously the real estate photos). You may already have the best plan, just need appropriate size furniture.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Space behind the door is just 13cms deep so I don’t think a drop zone is possible there.
    We were thinking of tv on the garage wall and a small L shaped couch on the wall opposite the doors ( on the right hand side of tv). Then a single arm chair on the left side just behind the small wall.Possibly a slim shoe rack from ikea may fit on that wall.

In the dining space I thought of placing two Buffetts next to each other on the long wall. One will be like a drop zone and other for dining area. In front of buffets an expandable dining table 6 seater which can be extended to 8.

I am not sure though if this is a good plan.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

The agent would have used a stylist to show the space to it's best advantage, I agree with what they have done, although you could have a long TV console which extends across the fixed panel of the glass sliding door. The laundry could have a statement barn door to close it off and would be much nicer to look at then an ordinary door when its closed, the barn door could also just have some art placed onto it.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Hi nutty, you have, by your plans, 3.6 metres width in your dining space, the space near the kitchen. The buffet idea will work, just be sure to take in the width of your dining table plus room to pull out the chairs. You don't want chairs and people squashed up against those buffets, or into the thoroughfare between kitchen and tv area. Try and find the narrower buffet as possible. As I have said in my previous post, the set up you have now, is good. Just need appropriate size furniture.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I do like Siriusky idea of 'dressing up' the laundry door.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

For dreamer

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The house was not styled by the stylist unfortunately. The furniture in the pictures belonged to the tenants who were living there.i didn’t like the idea of tv in the front as soon as you open the door.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

You could add a screen at the entrance to block the TV which would be on a TV bracket below the Aircon? or you could look at the people sitting on the lounge when you open the door? It;s a lovely light filled room with a lovely outlook

• Kate
    4 years ago

I’d use a chaise lounge in lieu of couch and chair in Siruskeys earlier design and trim the buffet back so door is not crowded.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

this layout was for dreamer, I prefer the dining and lounge the other way, it opens up the room and I'd prefer to get a side on view of the TV than to open the door to see people sitting on the lounge, or to be sitting on the lounge when the door is opened. but thats just how I see it

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Our family has two adults and a child.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I just borrowed this shot from another before and after to show what dining tables can end up looking like

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Or this.....

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What if I mount tv on the wall where it is shown in the realestate image and place a tv console underneath. Then place a sofa on the garage wall and single seats in smaller spaces. This way I think I can keep two Buffetts next to each other on the long wall for drop zone and dining respectively. Plus the 6 seater dining table that extends to 8.
    I am really concerned about number of seating. I don’t feel like compromising on that. But lack of god space for traffic flow will be a deal breaker as well.
    Will this be good layout?
    Thank you everyone.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know about the dining table thing. At the moment our kitchen counter is like a drop zone for all of us. That’s why I am thinking of a matching Buffett near the entrance as the catch all zone including our bags, keys etc.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In that case, I also am not sure whether it is okay to have two matching Buffetts next to each other?

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also both the walls attached to the garage wall have big windows..

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Hi nutty, yes, a lounge on the garage wall. Maybe a three seater. Then chairs, and the TV mounted on the wall, with ability to swivel, I think would work. The view from the front door would be the TV, which is fine. It would also open up the thoroughfare from front door to back door. Two matching buffets, would be good. This would keep that wall streamlined. Whatever you use them for. If using part of the buffet surface as a drop zone, (I would recommend the laundry end of buffet) this would be good, because it is not seen from front door. You do not want keys and bags visible for unwanted eyes. Having the two windows on either side of the front left room is wonderful. This enables a bright place for each of your single chairs.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

• C P
    4 years ago

hmm don't know what you'd be achieving with last suggestion? All your seating jammed into a corner and tv as main thing you see in entry? Looks pretty uninspiring

• C P
    4 years ago

why not keep dining in left of entry, stick tv where you want buffet, couch with back to entry (facing laundry) and with a landing console back behind it and 2 armchairs facing tv?

• C P
    4 years ago

or swap couch so it backs laundry with a console behind it

• C P
    4 years ago

although I think siriuskey's first option is the best

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Is this what you were suggesting CP

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Siriuskey.. may I ask which app have you used for drawing these floor plans please?

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Hi nutty,
    One thing to ask yourself, as only you know how you live. When people visit, do you tend to sit at your dining table, or in the lounge chairs? This will then determine the area that requires more space. Dining area on the left will restrict the size and extension of a dining table to comfortably fit 8 people.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hi Nutty Chocolate, My program is from 1997 and no longer produced, if you check online you could find a freebie, I will have a look for your, for one that can give you simple shapes etc,

I think that your visitors will sit in the lounge next to the kitchen or at your courtyard table, would you be able to serve via a kitchen window

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To be honest I wanted to have good number of seating. I have our old dining table which is a four seater and that looks tiny in our space currently. Also I have only one lounge. We were in an apartment before so my furniture is of that scale. The space now is bigger but not very big. I am just looking for three functionalities in this space-

1. Living cum tv zone
    2. Dining zone
    3. Entry zone
      Most of the times it is only three of us, this is what we need as a family. But on times when we have get togethers I just wish I am able to sit more people.
      I have been checking Pinterest for some inspiration but the number of windows, doors and narrowness of the space is very difficult for me to come to any conclusion.
      Eventually before buying any furniture we may place cutouts of newspapers of the scale of furniture before buying anything.
      All your opinions are very welcome please. Thankyou!!
  • dreamer
    4 years ago

When you mention, sit more people, do you mean for dining or lounging seats? If you want more dining space, then that would be in larger space, if you want more lounging space then that should go in larger space. Don't worry about the windows, treat them as walls. Here are some examples of small lounge areas that I can see in your home. Allowing for a wonderful, potentially 8 seater dining. In your last thoughts for furniture placement (lounge on garage wall), this would allow the lounge area to interact with the dining area.Everyone lives their own way. And your furniture placement should reflect that. With my home we seem to sit around the dining table, when having visitors, with drinks and food, have always done this, therefore I have a permanent 8 seater table.

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Regarding the entry zone. Have you thought about enclosing part of your front porch. This could become your "entry zone". You don't need a solid wall, just an area that provides a covered/enclosed area to greet people before entering into your home. Something, that still lets the light in, so it doesn't block the light into the bedroom.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Siriuskey, only access to Our outdoor space is through the sliding doors next to the kitchen, in the lounge area. Other than that we can enter the courtyard through the garage.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi dreamer, if people visit us, we would need both lounge as well dining space. I guess it is more of the aesthetic aspect of the furniture placement that we may have to look at, in the given space, probably.

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Since we just recently moved to our place, our outdoor space needs some work. This we will eventually get done with time.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Is this a house or a town house?, I was suggesting that you might like to create a servery from the kitchen window

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh ok... it is a single level unit.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

So body corporate has to approve any changes to the building

• Nutty Chocolate
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes permission would be required. Also council I think

• PRO
    CHRISTINE HALL ARCHITECTS LTD
    4 years ago

Hi Nutty Chocolate,

I would place the furniture similar to what I have drawn - roughly, attached. I don't like to enter straight into the middle of a room and the space adjacent the garage is too small for the living area. Also, with the dining table at the end it can be set up really nicely to create a lovely dining area that with a small family can become the focus of your evening meals, and brunches in the weekends with minimal interruptions. Place the living furniture in as big a space as you can without making the circulation space too small. The back of the couch then defines the entry and you can either mirror that with another couch or two big armchairs to fill the space. Ideally you want the TV on the same wall as the windows so you don't get light reflections but you don't have enough space for that so put it and any other storage on the long solid wall. This leaves the circulation to the window side allowing easy access to the rear yard which is also good from the kitchen for summer barbecues etc. This makes the living space the central focus all day rather than having the dining area as just in the centre of all the comings and goings!!

There is also the possibility of getting an internal door into the garage.

Enjoy your new home.

Christine.

• PRO
    Reclaim your space
    4 years ago

Lots of great ideas, it's a difficult space!

Building on what others have said, and your requirement for 3 areas:

Entryway

Create an entryway with a console, shoe cupboards or cube unit to the right of the entrance, maybe with a coat stand or hooks. A nice big piece of art opposite the doorway, perhaps a narrow console or shelves would work here, but you don't want to block the path between kitchen and dining.

Dining area

I like the idea of having a living nook on the LHS, but it just doesn't seem to work size-wise, so agree with the others that this would be better as the dining area. You could put a buffet here in front of the front window, or just have the table, esp. if you want an extendable table.

Lounge area

I've orientated the lounge area a little differently, the TV unit will overlap the nib wall, if it's a problem you could perhaps put some kind of screen up to artificially elongate the wall. You could go with the chaise on the other side and maybe have a couple of ottomans for extra seating when needed. If you don't watch a lot of TV, you could put the TV unit along the larger wall and have the TV in the corner, but viewing position won't be so great.