brantraven

ADVICE NEEDED - What color should I paint the door??

Brant Raven
6 months ago

Hello Everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.

Anyone that has been following my Brunswick renovation over the last 12 months might know that we are somewhere near the end now...but as always there are still about 1000 things to do.

One thing we cant decide on is the color for the front door.

I have posted pictures below of the front of the house and the back so you get an idea of what the house looks like and the colors we are using.

As a summary we are using;

• Weatherboards and fence - Delux Lexicon (Satin)
  • Trims and window frames - Delux ColorBond Deep Ocean [C24] (Satin)
  • Roof, gutters and downpipes - ColorBond Manor Red

As part of landscaping for the front we will likely use red brick paving...which adds more red to the pallette.

So....given all of this...what might be the best color for the door itself...and the door trim??

Thank you all.

Brant

• siriuskey
    6 months ago

Totally agree that your colour should flow from front to back as the extension has been done to match the old part of the house, You have chosen a blue trim to go with your red roof but that doesn't mean that the front door has to be blue as well, at the end of the day it's your house and you should do what makes you happy after all it;s just a coat of paint that can be changed, I did have one win with you though, the stairs and that's an important feature of your house cheers

Brant Raven thanked siriuskey
    Best Answer
  • Kate
    6 months ago

Deep ocean, you already have 3 colours and this would balance the window trim

Brant Raven thanked Kate
  • legendaryflame
    6 months ago

I agree with deep ocean. It will balance the red brick.

Brant Raven thanked legendaryflame
  • Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So...if the door is Deep Ocean...what about the trim around the door. That would have to be Lexicon...same as the weatherboards...would this look right? Wouldn't the door trim then just blend in??

• Kate
    6 months ago

Your are sort of doing the reverse of these blue houses where the trim, door frame and door are white against blue walls
    Alternative is white door with blue trim as per the shed in 3rd photo

Brant Raven thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    6 months ago

I would do front door and frame Lexicon, are you doing your red brick paving in a herring bone pattern. Are you painting the fence posts lexicon as well. Your house and extension are looking lovely

Brant Raven thanked siriuskey
  • Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

@Kate

I simply cant decide.

I love the idea of a blue door because it is a bold color...but doing this means that the trim has to be white...which means it isn't consistent with the trim for the rest of the house.

A white door and blue trim keeps everything consistent...but Im not so sure I like a white door. I just dont know. This option though is going to be the best to remain consistent.

A Manor Red door might work as well...but if I did that I am still troubled by the trim around the door and what color it should be.

The other alternative is to choose a completely different color for the door...and make it stand out. I really have no idea.

Really stuck!

• Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

@siriuskey

So just to be clear you are suggesting that the whole door and frame should be Lexicon? The same color of the weatherboards? Wouldn't everything then just blend in and show no difference at all? Not sure I am a fan of just one color!!

Regarding the brick work paving...the pattern itself is undecided...but it will definitely be brick as we both like the color and effect this achieves and I do think it is in keeping with the period.

The other part we have not yet decide on is the veranda. We well either tile this with a classic Victorian style...or simply used wooden decking.

In terms of the front fence...the pickets will likely be Lexicon and the posts will be Deep Ocean.

Thank you for commenting on our renovation...you may not know it, but YOU @siriuskey played a part. You were the one that suggested an open staircase and mocked it up in CAD. Not one had made this suggestion!...and although it cost more money we went with it...and we couldnt be happier with the result. So really...when I look at that staircase Im going to always remember you and remember this forum. It is a wonderful story to tell... :)

Brant

• siriuskey
    6 months ago

Always very pleasing to get a positive response to suggestions and that you are both now enjoying your new open staircase. Your renovations are really coming along, I suggested all white with your red roof, white makes all the architectural details really stand out. I would also stick to one colour for you picket fence, cheers

• Kate
    6 months ago

Have you thought about keeping the window and door frames white or lexicon quarter and painting the door blue. You could then do the defense posts blue if you want more colour. I know the back of the house has blue frames, but I don’t see this is an issue as not read together.

Brant Raven thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    6 months ago

Can you post any more photos including the staircase, and how the room next to the staircase is accessed interesting extension not following in the traditional manner of the house, Always follow KISS, keep it simple S for the best result. You could add a traditional front door in black but I don't think it necessary as from what I can see in the photo is the entrance and door already have a lot of character. The lovely Picket will look less fussy if done in one colour

quoting

Taking the new build/old build divide quite literally, the existing cottage has been redefined as a crisp white entity. In a street of Heritage vernacular, where every architectural shift is picked out in a nuanced tone, this is a drastic departure in itself. Add to this the decision to present the new addition in solid black, and the radical nature of the build becomes apparent (Dulux low sheen black and Lexington white).

http://www.wrightsonstewart.com.au/wilston-project

• legendaryflame
    6 months ago

I am picturing the door and the trims in the blue. You are doing both the window frames and trims in the blue, aren't you? I think the door would look bold and simply gorgeous. I love the house frontage.

Brant Raven thanked legendaryflame
  • Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Kate

Thanks for the suggestion.

We hadn't really thought about this because we do like how the combination of blue and white does look. With the window trims the same color as the weatherboards, everything would simply blend and there would be very little color or feature. I also don't like the idea of the back part of the house looking vastly different to the front. I prefer the consistency.

• Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@legendaryflame

Thank you for your comment.

So...here is the color planning as we (the wife and I) see it.

Looking at the picture of the front of the house....

Lexicon:

- Weatherboards

- Pickets

- Vertical veranda fretwork

Deep Ocean:

- Fascia (both pitched and above veranda fretwork)

- Window frames/trim

- Canopy over window

- Fence Posts

- Veranda posts and embellishments

Manor Red:

- Roof

- Window canopy roof

- Gutters

- Downpipes

Based on this....and how we are spatially separating out the colors, I would think the door alone should be White (Lexicon) while the frame around the door should be blue (deep ocean).

This would make it logically consistent.

• Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@siriuskey

Thank you.

I will post pictures of the overall results once we are a little closer...but I have added a couple of pictures of the stairs to whet your appetite :).

Being an engineer I very much subscribe to the KISS principle...but on the other side there is a X-Factor of what appeals to ones taste. The picture you posted of the house painted as black and white might indeed appeal to many...and it is beautiful...but ultimately it just doesn't appeal to me...and my wife would balk completely.

What we are trying to create is a mix of boom-time charm on the outside with modern convenience and use of space on the inside. I think we have achieved that...considering we had a heritage overlay and could not start from scratch.

The other issue I think is land size. Given the size of the land...there is only so much you can do and only so many ways you can configure rooms.

And now...the stairs.

• Brant Raven
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@siriuskey

The stairs is a major feature of the house and it leads to what will be my office space / "Man loft"

As I said in an earlier post...in a round about way...you have become part of the story we will tell because for whatever reason...no one...up until the point you did...had suggested an open staircase. I fully believe had fate not intervened and without your mock-up CADs we would have closed the staircase and it would have looked terrible.

• siriuskey
    6 months ago

thanks for sharing the photos of the staircase Brant looks amazing well done I remember you struggling with your "man cave" which you appear to have resolved. does the room next to the stairs open into the family now,

One of our neighbours is an engineer, (as was my husband in another life) and he's been renovating and extending for 10 years!!

A bit disapointed not to have convinced you of the colour scheme though, KISS would definately apply to your job