lewisclan557

Street appeal , render, pain or leave brick and shutters

Icmi lewis
4 years ago

We have a brown brick house build in 74 colonial style. We have renovated interior into fresh Hamptons Style keeping ceiling roses and cornices but modernising floor and walls. Now we are looking at doing something to the exterior for more street appeal. The house is brown brick (unusual brick colour ) have not seen another house with this brick, it had shutters and window boxes. Front fences is limestone with brown brick and black wrought iron. We have just taken shutters and plant boxes off to see what it looks like and have enclosed photos. We have a big tree that covers the main window. thanks.

Comments (10)

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

I would leave the brick alone , put the shutters back as they balance size wise with central window . The smaller windows look undersized and bare on their own . I don’t think that I would put the window boxes back . Your home looks lovely .

Icmi lewis thanked Anne Monsour
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

When your home has a strong architectural character it is best to work with what you have rather than spend a lot of money to try and make it into another style. trying to modernise such a house will always look like a compromise. Don't render as your bricks have a great, earthy character, and the white windows and shutters make a sharp contrast.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Icmi lewis thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • PRO
    Icmi lewis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. Any thoughts on what colour to paint shutters if I leave them. Do you think keep white or change to black are dark grey. thanks.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Definitely light colour for me, stops the place looking dreary.

Icmi lewis thanked Kate
  • Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

Leave them white , it looks good . It contrasts nicely with your brick colour . I really like your brick colour .

Icmi lewis thanked Anne Monsour
  • User
    4 years ago

I initially thought 'no way would you put back the window boxes back' . Then I looked at pic 1 again , and while it mightn't be true to history ( I assume window boxes were always the width of the window , and shutters half that width ) , I'd actually be tempted to go twice the width ( and like everyone , have it all in white ) and put some hanging creepers , and some colourful reds and violets and yellows ( daisies and the like ) -- it would add some subtle colour , but also a nod towards the trees , and really look integrated .

Icmi lewis thanked User
  • Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Lovely home, and that retaining wall lovely, Perhaps u could paint the shutters a bright colour like the Mediterranean country’s do. I wouldn’t touch the brick, it’s no maintenance as is. And I’m all for easy care and practical..

Icmi lewis thanked Daphnemaria Sch
  • PRO
    BBC Painting QLD Pty Ltd
    4 years ago

For a small outlay of a couple of hundred dollars, you could get a Colour Consultant to take a photo and show you the look, rendered, painted or something different. If you are looking to make a statement, then render is a bold choice. The costs involved range from $40-$65 per sqm then another $15-$20 to paint. Its also true that you will need to keep it washed every year or 2 and repaint in approx 10-12 years. Look around your area and see what others have done.

Hope this helps.

James

Icmi lewis thanked BBC Painting QLD Pty Ltd
  • Gav Hel
    4 years ago

I would paint the brick white and paint the shutters black to match in with the fence. Tile the front veranda in a pattern. Forget the window boxes. The windows match in well with the style you like. For drama paint the gutters black and square off the posts on the veranda too....

Icmi lewis thanked Gav Hel