jennifer_postma

Help with fireplace makeover in Californian bungalow

Jennifer Postma
4 years ago

Can anyone please tell me if this fireplace design might be original to my 1950s Californian Bungalow? I was going to tile over it (see samples in the photo) and paint the room dulux antique white USA with vivid white trim, but I don't want to remove any of our homes original features. I'm thinking that the outside render has been added over time? I'm also considering removing all the render but i'm not sure what I'll discover ..... thanks.

Comments (8)

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Can u clean a small section of paint off and reveal if their are any hidden gems.?

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

It is hard to tell from the photo but I suspect it may be a traditional cement render with layers of paint over the top. It looks like you can see the original trowel finishes in the render. This recess was possibly used for a gas or electric fireplace as the paint and render would have been damaged by a timber or coal fire. However there is only one way to find out which is to carefully remove some of the paint. Be aware that it may be a harzardous lead-based paint under the top layer of paint which looks like it could be 1980's.

If you want to keep your home fairly authentic I would consider using plainer tiles rather than the heavily patterned tiles which have more of a late 1960's/1970's vibe. Sandstone or face brick were commonly used in 1950's houses around fireplaces.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Jennifer Postma
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for your help everyone! I chipped a bit of the render off inside the fireplace. It looks as though the render was added over the top of plain red bricks. The bricks underneath are covered in black soot which means it must have been added sometime after the fire place was originally used. I think that there is also only one layer of paint on the render which leads me to think that it might be fairly recent. I considered just exposing the brick but I'm not sure what kind of shape they would be in. Thanks for all your input.

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Hi Dr.Retro
    I have a similar fireplace from 1926 bungalow, any suggestions for mantle or tiles here? We built a box over the small cement hearth, but outcome is not ideal. Can u post a pic or two for me please with your ideas. I like plain, and simple.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

Daphnemaria - it looks like you have an art-deco style home so I would use that style as a starting point for your research. I offer two-hour in-home consultations, depending on your location, if you want some professional advice. Please check out my reviews.

Regards

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls.

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Thanks I will.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Does the grape colour 'jar' with the rest of your house and/or furniture ? I have an entry hall in a commercial building that I did in a lighter shade of that -- I added red and gold and brass , and of course a 'period' ceiling rose .

Personally , I'd do the surrounding walls around your fireplace in a crisp white , or even a wallpaper like the one I got , and either paint the mirror surround in the same white , or get a new , slightly smaller mirror . I'd also get rid of the clock and those 2 off-white decorations , and I would do the hearth in either white gloss tiles , or if it was for me , 100mm square white gloss and black gloss tiles -- a checkerboard pattern .