katy_williams26

Renovating a tiny bathroom

Katy Williams
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Problem: we NEED to change out the bathroom (it's leaking beyond patching). It's a 1970's addition tacked onto the side of very loved a 1930's mishmash. The "need room" has a low ceiling (2150 high) and is just 2700 x 1800mm. The toilet and shower are plumbed to the two corners of the "long" 2700 wall, with the vanity opposite the toilet. The plumber CAN do an inwall cistern, but can't swap them over - too many problems. The corner door cannot move and HAS to open inward (cavity/sliding door is not an option)...so it's tight. I can't change the fact that you open to face the shower and view the toilet.

To the horror of the local bathroom businesses, I don't want to go fully modern Australian with its big uniform floor tiles, wall tiles to the ceiling and clean modern minimal lines. I WANT to put the cistern in the wall; lose the shower hobs; have 1 finish across the floor, but this does not resolve "the look" issues. I love marble, but (cost aside) I don't look after it well enough. I had thought about encaustic, tessellated or mosaic tiles on the floor, subway tiles in shower/ 1 metre up on walls - but so far the cost of my first floor ideas was prohibitive. So next idea: what do you think about the "galaxy" tile (below) on the floor? Is it TOO tired looking? If I went this route, what might work on the walls/vanity? I'm not sure I'm brave enough for a black-based 1000 mm vanity - but would it work? Any and all other ideas welcome!

Our Range -- Porcelain/Ceramic | encaustic · More Info

Some Houzz photos of bathrooms I LOVE...

Cambrian Custom Home · More Info

46 stunning small bathroom makeover ideas 11 ⋆ aegisfilmsales.com · More Info

Breezy Blue Home · More Info

And what I have at the moment!

Comments (33)

• bigreader
    4 years ago

Are you after ideas for the best layout? Pls post a sketches floor plan OR after ideas for finishes and style?

Katy Williams thanked bigreader
  • dreamer
    4 years ago

Maybe a grey vanity. And white or light coloured tiles in shower recess. Keep the floors as the feature.

Katy Williams thanked dreamer
  • Related Discussions

Keeping some character - glass tile in bungalow bathroom renovation?

Q

Comments (9)
    If you are looking to keep the "period" look, then I say no. My place is from 1916 & had a gross 1980's reno. I ripped out all the ugly vinyl floor & cheap Sears sink & went with a black hex floor, white subway, dark grey grout on both. Toilet & tub were original, but I got an old "Standard" wall mount sink with chrome legs & towel bars & an antique medicine chest, light fixtures & glass shelving & towel bar off Ebay. My total job...about $5k. Help my tile guy is my neighbor, but those 10, 15, 20k bathrooms were out of the question.
    ...See More

Best bathroom layout for my first house? Help please!

Q

Comments (14)
    We have a 900x900 shower and it's plenty big enough. Neither of your proposed layouts looks that great, to be perfectly honest, sorry! In the first layout, you could improve it quite a lot by swapping the toilet and vanity (centre the toilet under the window on the bottom right of the picture if possible), and having the shower door on the other wall (beside the door). Then, you could have a towel rail on the wall beside the door (i.e. behind the door when it's open), which would be accessible from the shower but hidden when the door was open. An 800x1200 shower might be a good size for your space. You'd have to choose a toilet that doesn't protrude too far, plus a narrow vanity. With that layout, you could have a long but narrow wall-hung vanity, with a big mirror covering the wall between the windows, which would make the room feel bigger and would give a good amount of storage. Also, you may find this helpful: http://www.houseplanshelper.com/small-bathroom-floor-plans.html?utm_content=buffer4aa20&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    ...See More

Renovation project - help with bathroom layout

Q

Comments (0)
    ...See More

Bathroom reno advice for very old bathroom

Q

Comments (5)
    Maybe look beyond the footprint of existing bathroom. We renovated a bathroom where we were able to have a seperate large shower and keep the bath by incorporating a built in cupboard in a bedroom room adjacent to the bathroom. New Free standing storage in that room has resolved any issue with the loss of the built in.
    ...See More
  • Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow! Thank you both! Bigreader, I'm in need of style/taste/inspiration. The layout is attached, and it's not possible to relocate /change the main elements significantly. The window, door (and its swing) and 3 suite components are basically locked. Grey could be great!

• legendaryflame
    4 years ago

I love, love, love the tiles you have potentially picked! I would go for rustic look with them. Black or timber would look great.

Katy Williams thanked legendaryflame
  • bigreader
    4 years ago

Looks like you have room to stretch the shower to 1200 and the vanity to 1500.

• Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello big reader! Thank you so much for helping to think this one through! It would be nice to make them more generous, but vanity and the shower have to be on opposing walls, and I have to keep the centre free for circulation. To keep 700 mm free, my "usable space" is less. Once either the vanity or the shower extend over the 1100 mm mark, it compromises the movement into the shower and to the toilet. (It's the pinch points on the diagonals. It's only 1800 wide).

I've played online and on the floor with different vanities and shower rectangle arrangements, but basically 1200 x 900 on the shower and a 1500 x 450 (narrow) vanity leaves 450 mm of floor space free to enter the shower and move to the toilet.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

You could save by just tiling in the shower and the vanity splash back

What about a Barn door? I know there will be comments about gaps,but would look lovely with your house depending where it opens out to.

• Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello Siri

Thank you so much - it's great to have company pondering the problems!

I'm not overly worried about the cost of the tiles (well, at least up to a fairly reasonable point. I was quoted over $750 a metre yesterday and needed a good lie down). I want to create a coherent look.

I am thinking barn door, but trial-and-error has ruled out a slider. Outside, there are stairs are 2 inches from the frame on one side, and there is a right-angled wall and a door to a bedroom 4 inches away on the other side. I argued passionately for pushing the slider across the void at the top of the stairwell, but my family mutinied. They don't want to be thunked by the door as they walk up the stairs. I argued that it would not happen often - to think of it as an adventure - how about making a game of "duck the door"? - but despite my best arguments, they remained unmoved. Three builders say I can't go into the cavity because the void is affected by waste pipes plus electrical and they can't get rid of it all. (The first builder was pretty convincing, but I thought I'd keep trying in case someone had a magic wand...) I thought "Ok, I'll put the barn slider on the inside." I bought some stunning slider hardware, took down the towel rails next to the vanity - I figured I put them back up somewhere else some other time - then found that with a standard opening and just 2100 floor to ceiling, there is not enough space above the door to mount the slider! Do you think a hinged barn would look OK?

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

More photos would be helpful plus a rough floor plan, hadn't considered he ceiling height with the barn door, could the door be recessed into the ceiling, would depend on which way the supports run, this would be an internal door, but far simpler to use a hinged door. Sounds like everyone has an opinion including me

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    4 years ago

Siriuskey idea is perfect.
    if you can't relocate the door then just turn his vanity bench 90 degree. It will work well.

Katy Williams thanked 3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
  • PRO
    Prodigg Bathrooms
    4 years ago

It is refreshing to see a bathroom design not Ultra Modern! We have a number of vanities that may be suitable for style.

Katy Williams thanked Prodigg Bathrooms
  • Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello people - Thank you again for your help... I am so very, very grateful! I DID post a floor plan of the room itself earlier (promise!!!) there is a wider attempt at internal context attached below. (Be kind - I'm a luddite - but you get the idea). If I try to move the door it's (1) costly, which does not disturb me but strangely upsets my partner, and (2) makes the bathroom an ensuite, which thrills me but upsets the inhabitants of the other bedroom and the tiny single room (I've optimistically if inaccurately labelled it study). It's basically a working family bathroom - hence the need for a vanity with some storage! I love the idea of spinning the toilet and vanity around to face into the room, and I'll check the costs again. You've given me new resolve not to let the builders scare me with issues of roof lines, beams and joists. Design ideas very welcome!

I've popped outside to show you my home...from the front, you can just see the bathroom extension peeking out. The side elevation gives you an idea of the roof lines. There's no roof void, so 2100 (give or take a few millimetres) is what I have. I did ask if I could swap the vanity and toilet/spin them, and I'll try again. This time, I'll try not to be so intimidated with references to the 150 floor joists, ceiling joists, intersecting brick wall etc!.

• me me
    4 years ago

Now I get it. It does look like there will be lots of issues with changing things around. I think it will be very costly if it can be done.

Katy Williams thanked me me
  • Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's true...but on the positive side, it is fairly hideous at the moment, so hopefully we can make it look better!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Try this. Will look good. Wall to Wall shower, and Wall to Wall Vanity Ledge with Mirror Storage.

All sizes will work, just need to carefully select your appliances to fit.

You need a core hole drill on the floor for new toilet location. Depending on what is underneath, I don't think its going to be a big issue.

The main thing is to get hot-cold inlet at similar spot. That is why shower and basin can be interchanged.

Ledge joinery acts as cover for messy pipe rerouting and to hide the old core holes.

Water inlet for toilet, if you can't plug it inside cavity, then consider having it old style from the ceiling with copper pipes and brackets.

I think its very doable. Your builder might tell you there are some other issues, but nothing that can't really be tinkered. I rather find a way around technical problems than compromising a layout that you don't like.

• Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much 3D! I will try it out.

• PRO
    4 years ago

No worries. There is enough space there for a shower glass door as well.

• leonienyc
    4 years ago

Hm

• leonienyc
    4 years ago

Comments are based on your original layout. Do you like the idea of a wet room? Some don’t, but I like how easy they are to clean and how they can make a small space feel very open. I am told you should expect 1400 mm for shower splatter.
    If this is something you would consider, keep door in existing position, but with hinge on opposite side (swing open to the left) for privacy to the toilet. Swap shower and vanity so vanity with mirror is opposite door which creates a first impression of bigger space upon entry. Keep toilet where it is, recessed. Put open shower (no hob, no glass) opposite shower. This end of the room becomes a wet room.

Katy Williams thanked leonienyc
  • leonienyc
    4 years ago

Edit: put open shower opposite *toilet.

• pam60
    4 years ago

Design ideas: Your tile choice, white? subway tiles in shower, vj panelling in rest of room, timber vanity.

• Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Pam! Yes, I am kind of leaning towards white subways.

• User
    4 years ago

Hi Katy. This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but with the best intentions can I share something with you?

During our ongoing reno’s we discovered that some builders will tell you something can’t be done, or can only be done one way. Sometimes that‘s true. But we also discovered, “it can’t be done” often means, “I don’t want to do it“, or, “I don’t have the skills to do what you want”, or, “I don’t care what you want in your house, I want to do it my way“, or it may even mean, “I need to make this a quick job or my schedule will blow out”. It helps to get to the bottom of it. Do lots of research, ask lots of questions, and if the builder can’t logically explain why something can’t be done in simple, layperson‘s language, get advice and a price from someone who believes there’s always more than one way to solve a problem. Double check on any builder who says the alternative will cost 3, 4, 5x the price, especially it their reason doesn’t sound logical. It could be an ordinary job for someone else and their price will be too. I wish someone had told us that when we started out, just like I wish we had’ve discovered Houzz before then too. Good luck and best wishes with your reno. It’s all worth it in the end. :-)

• Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Dm !! Much appreciated.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hi Katy,

I love the idea of playing "Dodge the door" or "Duck the door"! What a shame...some people: no fun!!!

Yes I very much agree with Dm Stan. Lots of builders have their own language just as he indicated. Don't settle for that: keep asking people till you get the answer you want! Some might say it may be better to rip the whole timber bit off the top of the house and start again! Where about's are you? I know of a great builder in Melb northern suburbs who would be very truthful with you.

As to the colours I love the look you are going for the darker /patterned floor tiles and cream or grey above. We just need to get the layout right for you first.

What about moving the window? is that possible? if so try, from the left: shower with blade of glass screen half way across room with wall not window. next window and toilet (I do not think that would be too big a plumbing problem) then vanity directly ahead of the door which as someone said hinge on the left so as to give a little more privacy for the whole room. First view is the vanity and mirror directly ahead. If all the fittings are on that opposite wall then the walk way is to the internal or door side, where the towel rails go, the room will feel larger and be more functional too. 900 x 1800 shower, loo 800 width space leaves one meter for vanity with drawers, mirror affording plenty of storage.

Love to see how it all works out for you.

Cheers

Margot

Katy Williams thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • Katy Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yess!!! I shall consult the team on moving the window... What a lovely idea! Thank you.

• User
    4 years ago

Katy, what a brilliant transformation. Dreary to lovely. And the best part is you sound mega rapt with it too. Great job. Well done!

• bigreader
    4 years ago

Very nice. Loving the original door and window.

• C P
    4 years ago

Hi Katy I'm really curious about where you are at with this project now?

• Kate
    4 years ago

Beautiful well done

• rocksfam
    4 years ago

Gorgeous!

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Well Now Katy,

I think this qualifies you for giving advise on Houzz to others wanting to get it RIGHT!

What a stunning result, I'm guessing it cost 100 x more than you wanted it to, caused a rift in the fabric of relationships and has continued rocketing away with purchase of new towels for everyone, new accoutrements and still hard to get time in there because everyone loves it so much they therefore stay to enjoy for ages!!!

Excellent result. Well done you!

Congrats.

Margot