itap65

Kitchen Splashback Tile replacement

itap65
4 years ago

Hi all, hoping for some advice here for advice on tile selections for our 70s house galley kitchen. We are on a budget and do not want to redo the whole kitchen, and I have absolutely no idea where to go with this. Our kitchen drawers are Antique White laminate (sort of cream) with a speckled pale grey (in various depths of colour) benchtops. We intend to replace the overheads to the same colour of the drawers without handles and inset a new “invisible” rangehood in the cupboard over the stove. Any suggestions for tile colour? I’ve included a pic of our vinyl floor which won’t be changing. We love the sea colours and want to lighten our little coastal house to reflect this. Driftwood, teals, blues, etc. any suggestions about tile style, colour or even in relation to the overheads would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (26)

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Can I suggest a pale teal or taupe colour. This would blend in with your floor and oven colour. Will look great with your integrated rangehood.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Dreamer. I particularly like the first 2 and love the shape of the second. I am lacking in confidence in making these decisions but my thoughts were to pick up the “grout” colour in the floor. I also like the 3rd and it has opened up my eyes to other options.

• Kimmy Jade
    4 years ago

light grey subway tiles?

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The ones in the kitchen look lovely and another up for consideration.
    Thanks 😊

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

I would pick up one of the colours in your floor, a subway in a stacked pattern would look beautiful, blend it with a coloured grout .. gorgeous

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Have you considered painting the tiles and the door frame white, base cabinets as above and all other cabinets white, to take away from the different door profiles. you could then even consider a laminated timber benchtop from Bunnings

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Will be painting all architraves and skirting boards white and will keep your suggestions in mind.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Julie Herbert love the narrow stacked subways. Another for the ideas book.

• PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hi there!

With your existing cabinetry, oven and vinyl, I don't feel teal colours are the right choice, if your home is coastal, perhaps working with a 'cool sand' colour palette would be a better choice.

A tile in something like the Dove Wing below would pull from the greys in your space and 'simmer down' the yellow bases. I would consider painting your overheads in either the Athena or White Sand below.

Unifying the material of your handles and knobs will make the space feel more cohesive and is an affordable touch to a kitchen upgrade. A brass would look beautiful.

• PRO
    DECO Australia
    4 years ago

Have you seen DecoSplash?

It's an aluminium splashback that is strong, lightweight and very easy to install. We have over 150 designs to choose from (including tile-look and marble-look) or you can supply your own image/ design for a custom splashback that is unique to your home :)

https://www.decorativeimaging.com.au/building-products/decosplash/

DecoSplash · More Info

DecoSplash Thistle Groove · More Info

DecoSplash · More Info

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lauren Shiels Interior Design, just a couple more questions, I hope you don’t mind. The base cupboards are Antique White I think. I think your colour for the tiles is perfect. So you think it would look good to have the overheads a different colour leaning more to the Athena or White Sand colour as a contrast to the base cupboards? I was going to have them redone just plain laminate, no handles, but wonder with the style of oven if keeping the existing profile would fit in and create character in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hi,

That's ok, I think either keep the profiles and a knob or ditch both, even a raw timber knob would look cute. Yes go for the overhead contrast, you have contrast now with the timber and it works, but this will look much more lovely and subtle.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Lauren, really appreciate your input. Have a lovely evening 😊

• Kate
    4 years ago

I would inject some colour like the teal, but keep it subtle like pic 2, you need to be careful not to make the floors look bad so bring your tiles home to check against it and range. Too many neutrals would not be uplifting to me.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion Kate, I will take this into consideration.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update - well we decided on the clean, simple and budget friendly outcome for our kitchen. The painting has been done in Taubmans Crisp White. New carpet to be installed next Wednesday. Here are the after pics with and without the LED light strip on. Thank you all for your input 😊

• Audrey1967!
    4 years ago

I hope you kept your overhead cupboards to be used elsewhere or sold them as they appeared to be in good condition. I have only just seen this post, and was going to show you a picture of a house that had just painted the cupboards and what a difference it made. If you like the beach colours, now is the time to add some of the colours suggested above as part of your accessory colours.....even via spatulas/utensils, tea towel, toaster, jug etc..

• Kate
    4 years ago

Great work, I used those tiles recently in my bathroom. Hope you are now happier working in the kitchen, cook up a storm in these tempestuous times. Stay well

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks to you both 😁 Great idea about the handles! And I am slowly buying bright silicone utensils and new tea towels. Unfortunately the old cupboards were old chipboard but they did have solid doors. We had considered painting them but with putting the concealed rangehood in we couldn’t use them. They have now gone.

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Kate. After all the input from Houzz members we tried different tiles etc. but as this is probably the one and only time it will happen, we stuck with neutrals so we can always introduce colour in a cheap manner. The concealed rangehood I am thrilled with and I’m glad we invested in it. I am so grateful for everyone’s contributions.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Looks great, maybe add a tray to display some beautiful items and a lovely plant to bring it to life

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Black handles would look fabulous

• itap65
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Julie. It gives e lots of scope to change colours as the mood takes me. I think I will definitely go down the black handle track.

• Kim
    4 years ago

Love the black handles.

• Anne Monsour
    4 years ago

I agree with the black handles as they add character to what could be bland . Your subway tiles are lovely with that rippled texture . Your different kitchen surfaces all blend in beautifully , well done .