tanyaoz

Indoor/Outdoor Connection re Insects, Security and Accessibility

tanyaoz
4 years ago

We are planning a new build and off to consult with architect soon. I love homes with expanses of sliders and bifolds but wonder about insects and security. As this will be our next forever home it needs to be future proofed as much as possible and sliding doors can be heavy to use as a back door. I’m thinking there needs to be some tradeoffs and compromises, and maybe a combination of fixed and louvre windows, bifolds/sliders and an opening door. I’d appreciate Houzzers thoughts. thanks

Comment (1)

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I prefer stacking sliding doors. You can then have for example, one door open or two or three, depending on how wide the opening is. You can install flyscreen doors on their own tracks or a retractable flyscreen. The stacker doors do not take up space, either in the room or outside when opened. I have also attached a picture of bifold doors with a retractable flyscreen. Which are worth considering, if you have room for doors when fully open. If installing bifold doors, make sure that the first door can be independently opened, so you do not have to open all of the bifolds, if not required.