baibi

Using linoleum (Marmoleum) in bathroom / laundry?

kateinhobart
4 years ago

Hello! We have recently bought a 1966 house in Hobart. It is largely in original condition and we will need to renovate the kitchen, bathroom and laundry.

We are not in a rush to renovate, as it is all currently serviceable and we would like to make sympathetic changes in keeping with the lovely original design of the house.

The kitchen, bathroom and laundry currently have old vinyl sheet flooring, under which we have found original linoleum tiles. See photos.

I would love to replicate the original look of these rooms using linoleum. However, I understand that the manufacturers of Forbo Marmoleum do not recommend its use in wet areas.

Should I therefore steer clear of linoleum in the bathroom and laundry? I plan to use Marmoleum on the kitchen floor.

Has anyone used Marmoleum in wet areas like a bathroom or laundry and what was your experience?

If I don’t use linoleum, I can use tiles in the bathroom, but should I also tile the laundry floor? Or is there a product suitable for wet areas that will give the look of proper old-style linoleum?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• kateinhobart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Natalie! Thanks for your reply – we haven’t made any real progress with the renovations, except living with the current house and seeing how it all functions. Hopefully we can make the Marmoleum work, at least for kitchen and laundry! Kate

• Michelle Cullen
    2 years ago

How did you go? We are just about to install marmoleum into our whole bottom level of our house .... I'm nervous, but love the sustainable nature of this product and know I will love it once its in! I will post a pic when done. Looking at Forbo Riverbank or Donkey Island :)

• kateinhobart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Michelle, we’re still waiting for our renovations to start! But we’re planning on Marmoleum through our entry, hall, kitchen and laundry. I’ve decided to go with terrazzo-look tiles in bathrooms, rather than Marmoleum. I’d love to see a pic of your floor when it’s done!

• Suzie E
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm also considering Marmoleum flooring for an open plan kitchen - family room area. Would love to hear any feedback or photos.

• macyjean
    last year

We researched it but as I understand it needs a qualified installer so that's where we started looking at other things. I thought it was suitable for wet areas, I remember reading about its use in hospitals and childcare centres and so on including the bathrooms, as it can be mopped regularly and has no groutlines or anything?

• kateinhobart
    Original Author
    6 days ago

I just thought I'd write a note to follow up on my original post about using Marmoluem in our kitchen and laundry. In the end we went with another product by Forbo called Sphera Energetic Homogenous Vinyl. Unfortunately our builder and floor supplier had hesitations about using Marmoleum where it could get wet, so we compromised! https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-au/products/homogeneous-vinyl/sphera-energetic/sphera-energetic/bv8buy

• Kate
    5 days ago

Would love to see final photo of completed room

• kateinhobart
    Original Author
    yesterday

Here’s some pics of the kitchen and flooring - we replicated as much as possible the original 1960s design.

• bigreader
    23 hours ago

Love the vibe of your kitchen. Well done.