cynthia_house80

Living area to sunroom design headache

Cynthia House
5 months ago

We are renovating a 90's house that has thrown up numerous challenges not least of which is what to do about our living lounge room. The sunroom used to be an open patio the previous owners enclosed which created the dilemma we face. A fixed plate glass panel with a sliding door with green frames that provides access from the lounge to the sunroom. To say it's ugly would be an understatement but what to do that looks good and doesn't reduce light from outside into the lounge ? The picture is from the previous owners occupation and before we started work which has included rendering the brick wall and painting the entire lounge space white. Timber look vinyl flooring to come. Our problem is that the lounge has become an 'indoor' room with reduced light, is small and an awkward shape so any bifold ideas wouldn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (29)

• Kate
    5 months ago

Do you need the sliding door at all. Could you remove the whole thing and just have an opening, as large as possible. Do you need the curtains? Put some on the external windows instead. If it is to stay paint frame in wall colour.

Cynthia House thanked Kate
    Best Answer
  • siriuskey
    5 months ago

If you want to keep the sunroom,paint the sliding door and windows and add a Velux skylight in the living room. That external sun room will always make the room darker

Cynthia House thanked siriuskey
  • kbodman14
    5 months ago

Depending on your location you may need to keep this doors for winter night warmth. Otherwise the fire's warmth will be negated with the heat escaping. You could go for pivoting stackers http://www.clearedgeglass.com.au/how-it-works/

i would also consider, skylights in the sun room, oriented toward the loungeroom.

Are you keeping your flooring in a light colour? When you paint, you could use a reflective white which bounces the light around the room.

Cynthia House thanked kbodman14
  • Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

We thought about removing the doors but as mentioned in some advice we need to close it off for winter and security. Already taken the curtains down and the floor will be a light natural timber look vinyl. At some stage we will be placing a skylight in the kitchen that will throw light in. White paint will be all over but still we have the ugly doors. Not entirely sure how successful painting the frames could be and of course there is the safety decals on the glass and the horrible handle ho hum.....

• kbodman14
    5 months ago

Paint with a light reflecting white, especially on the ceilings. It possible to put a skylight panel in the sunroof. May be directional solar tubes aim at the doorway.

Cynthia House thanked kbodman14
  • Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Haven't got to the ceilings yet and was hoping to avoid that job as I'm painting the whole house solo. Never thought of the directional solar tubes but I like that idea.

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Sadly stackable or pivoted doors won't work because we just don't have the space.

• kbodman14
    5 months ago

https://solatube.com.au/skylights/tubular-skylight-costs-comparison/

You need the mounting of the internal diffuser slightly on an angle pointing to the doorway.

The pivoting glass stackers are about 30 cm wide and form a glass column on the outway direction. Not commonly used in houses, but a shop fitting

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 months ago

Just open up the wall to make it one bigger living area. Include a new wall in the sunroom as well, flooring to match, etc. Don't know how deep the converted space is but it looks 2.4 metres - probably quite useless really but will give you generous living space once reworked.

Cynthia House thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • kbodman14
    5 months ago

Possibly we need to see your house plan, budget and your ability to tackle something more extensive; that is stress of renovating

• bigreader
    5 months ago

Consider replacing the metal slider with a wooden slider or sliding French doors painted to match walls.

Cynthia House thanked bigreader
  • Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

We quite like our sunroom especially now I've painted it and there is a new floor covering.....transformed ! see photos....the outlook to the garden is lovely and we spend more time in it than the lounge. Yes it is about 2.4m wide but unfortunately there is a step down from the lounge to the sunroom which creates a division of space.

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you bigreader I was considering your idea, so much more in keeping with the age of the house as well as aesthetically pleasing.

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Here is the original house plan that as you can see throws up some real challenges with regard to doorways. We have already closed off the sliders from the sunroom to master bed. Another issue is the two doorways leading to the lounge dining room. We are considering closing off the one outside the utility room/laundry which would leave the only access to the lounge master and study areas and through the kitchen. By doing this we think we would have a more useful living space. What would you do bearing in mind we have limited renovating funds and a list a mile long.

• pottsy99
    5 months ago

Well , I don't mind the brick wall , nor the green doors . I don't like the furniture or the pictures , and I gather they have all gone anyway . And the brick has had its character hidden -- sorry , I mean it's been rendered ( rendered neutered or rendered neutral haha ) .

I'm not a fan of green leather , but a big armed green ( or white ) leather suite , an abstract pic or 2 in greens , blues , yellows ; a modern sideboard / TV cabinet ; a similar style coffee table ; a long threaded teal rug ; not sounding too bad is it ?

Then a skylight tube or two -- I'm guessing a window in that rendered wall is beyond the point of no return -- too hard to do now ?

Still can't stand the green -- paint it charcoal , to tie in with the fire . Yes , it'll darken the room a little bit ( 2% loss ? ) but your smile will counteract that hahaha .

• bigreader
    5 months ago

I’d close off the kitchen door before the hall. You don’t want to make your kitchen the thorough fare. But leave them until you’ve lived there and worked out the best furniture and placement. It’s a fairly common layout.

• Kate
    5 months ago

To make the living bigger, I would move the opening to the master suite so it is opposite the hall across utility area. This will then allow a door to close off the master suite enclosing the en-suite with the bedroom. Don’t close the hall from utility to dining as this puts too much pressure on kitchen.

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

How about an updated photo of the painted living room towards the door

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

Your sliding doors CAN be painted, white would be a good colour to match walls, as it seems that all other doors and windows are green? Add full height curtains that pull back to one or both sides, curtains can be sheers or others and white like walls and doors or soft beige grey linen. Changing sliding doors to sliding french doors is expensive compared to paint and your time, black windows and doors always look classic so could be a choice if you wanted to make a feature of them. The safety strip can be removed and replaced with a smaller something, "No Smoking" next to the handle to remind you that the plain door is closed.

Cynthia House thanked siriuskey
  • Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Interesting that you suggest moving the opening to the master bed as we are already doing just that Kate. The two access points to the lounge from the kitchen and utility are a big headache. We don't like the fact that you can see into the utility/laundry from the lounge area but if we close it off we gain more useful space in the lounge and the laundry is well and truly out of sight and sound. The downside is that the kitchen then becomes the only thoroughfare to the lounge which I'm not entirely sure about but definitely considering as a possibility because I don't know what else we can do with such an awkward layout.

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Painted white walls has made a difference and the old fashioned double doors will be gone. New flooring next week. BUT it's obvious what an awkward space it is with all those doors cutting into and through it. Also obvious is the light issue.

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

Why remove those beautiful doors, have you thought to paint them, what style are you looking to achieve

• kbodman14
    5 months ago

I would just paint the door on the Utility room and paint those beautiful double doors. Before you go to the expense of changing everything, paint it is do much cheaper to start the blank canvas.

• kbodman14
    5 months ago

What. Great layout. It has flow that is sometime hard to achieve. There is plenty of airflow and if needed for warmth plenty of doors to shut. Where are you?

• Kate
    5 months ago

Well it is coming along, well done.
    If you don’t like seeing into the utility room just shut it’s door. If that is too hard to always do, then change the door to swing the other way so that it hides the bench behind, which looks from the angles all you would see from lounge. It looks like there is a doorway on the end of the hall, maybe put a self closer on that. I really think it would me a major issue closing the hall permanently. It would affect resale.

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

I don't understand removing all traces of the original 90's house, pleased to see the external wall in the sun room is still brick it adds character.

• Kate
    5 months ago

Lounge layout

• Cynthia House
    Original Author
    5 months ago

The double doors are sold so that we can open up the space to create more of a flow through. We don't want to destroy the character of the house but it has features that are hard to live with. Sadly there are benches in the laundry that would prevent a door rework. The space also has an external door which we use a lot. I guess we just aren't closed door people ! And yes resale is an issue I am concerned about if we close off one door but obviously it couldn't be the door from the kitchen because we need the access to the dining room, ho hum.....thank you Kate for the layout suggestion....if only we could afford to buy different furniture that would work ! the space is quite narrow.